Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on the V and VI on various websites and am aware of some of the differences between the two models. I just wondered if anyone had real world feedback on why one version is better than the other - for example if people have traded in V's for VI's what were your reasons other than the age of the car?

Personally I like the look of the V better than the VI - I can't see any major technical changes that would make *me* regret buying a V rather than a VI - are there any I should know about other than the ones listed below? I'm thinking GSR if that matters.

Do the turbo and piston / rod changes offer better tuning potential? More power as standard or just better reliability?

Some sites suggest the VI has a few extra bhp and a little bit more torque?

I know the suspension has been tweeked and lightened on the VI but I'm only Joe Ordinary so it's doubtful I'll ever notice, they say you can corner faster in a VI because the roll centre is lower though? Are we talking 2 mph on a test track or a noticable amount on the road?

The Brembos are slightly improved on the VI?

Obvious aerodynamic tweeks - again I'm not a racer, unlikely I'll notice and I prefer the old look.

Basically if I buy a V will I kick myself a month later when someone tells me I should have got a VI because of x and y ?

Thanks for your help

Michael

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I cud rant on about the pro's (VI has all those):) and cons (V has all those) :) , not biased at all even tho I am a VI owner.
The only way u can fully answer all those questions is blag a test drive in both versions , then make yr own informed decision.
I wud make this comment tho , I woudln't kick either of em out of bed if they were women :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its quite simple really.

Evo V's are for red blooded real men who like aggressive looking cars.

Evo VI's are for poofs that like nipples sticking out at each end of their front bumper.

:D :D ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The under bonnet changes on the Evo 6 were mainly for improving the engine cooling hence I suppose you could say it was better for tuning but to be honest I doubt if there is much in it.

There is no difference in the official power or torque output between the Evo 5 and 6. The only difference performance wise is the Evo 6 rev cut limit was increased from 7,500rpm to 7,600rpm. The TME dropped the max torque down by 250rpm but even then the max figures still remain the same as the Evo 5.

I can't really say whether the suspension is a vast improvement over the 5 as I haven't driven one. As you say as an everyday driver I think you maybe had pushed to notice the difference.

There was only a very minor change with the Brembos, they gained pad shims on the E6 and a slightly revised pad retaining method, hardly worth mentioning really (so why did I? :D).

The main difference is the body styling and really that should be the reason why you plump for one or the other.

TT-VII,
...and Evo VII's are for mincing hairdressers who wanted a 4 Door TT but couldn't get one and your nickname proves it :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have managed to get test drives in a V and a VI and to be honest didn't really notice a huge difference, having said that I wasn't really pushing either car too much. I'm no racing driver so it's unlikley I'd pick up any small differences, power delivery felt the same, the ride was the same, they seemed to handle the same, both turned heads but I felt better in the V because I knew it looked better on the outside.

The main reason I don't want a VI is because I don't like the styling of the front - has anyone mounted a V front bumper on a VI to put back the aggression? I suppose thats part of the Makinnen styling though, it looks less fluffy . Personal taste I suppose, crikey I don't want my first postings to start a war so I'd better stop!

It just looks so damn nice..............

Looks like it's a trip to the garage to drool tonight then :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mitch,
Worry not M8 , we r like this all the time :)

V front will bolt straight on2 a VI.............................if u must :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Evoboy..... VII's are for sophisticated chaps that relish the superior abilities that the latest evolution of our favourite rally bred bloodline offers over previous models, whilst being able to discreetly absorb themselves into anonimity within todays volatile and violent society. :D ;)

HH6.... you stand corrected, as the TT within my nickname does not refer to one of Germanys mass produced coupes. Sorry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally I think the six has a better looking front than the five. Rear end wise the five looks better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Original Post:
Evoboy..... VII's are for sophisticated chaps that relish the superior abilities that the latest evolution of our favourite rally bred bloodline offers over previous models, whilst being able to discreetly absorb themselves into anonimity within todays volatile and violent society. :D ;)

Right , so that explains the staggering sucess of the VII in WRC...........................not :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah, this looks much better!!

Ok, so its the zero fighter I know, but come on you cant beat the looks of the VI !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Duffman,

My first choice would be a Zero Fighter or VI Extreme any day of the week - these cars look great (never mind how they go!) - I couldnt find one when I bought my VII

I dont mind admitting it, but the I love the look of the VII somedays, then think it looks shite on others - I saw one on the rds the other day and it looked a bit poo !! however, I've bought one now so thats that.

I'm a sucker for the latest version, and you can rest assured that if the VIII looks a bit harder than the VII (which wont be hard), then I will try and be one of the first to have one.

In the meantime I will continue to enjoy the jovial wind ups that furnish this forum regularly.

:) ;) :D

Now bugger off you poof in a VI ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For looks, the V has it from the front and the VI has it from the rear.....oh er! But you can get the V in YELLOW.....;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to say I prefer the front and back of the VI, the front of the V looks a little dated now. Both still great cars though!
Talking about the differences between the two, I'm pretty sure that according to Autocar the V weighed quite a bit more than the VI, about 80kgs if I remember correctly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AnEvoGuy,

Yeah thats right M8 , the V is a lardy old bast , it must b those oversize front auxillary lights :D The VII is even heavier and was last in the Q 4 the pretty stick :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mmm the silver zero fighter does look nice - just needs the curvy fogs changing to nice big V style ones and it would be almost perfect.

I think it's going to be a V though - for looks and financial reasons - although there seems to be an overlap between the pricing on the V and VI - Warrender have the unregistered yellow V up @ £25k and my local dealership has an unregistered VI RS in white up at the same price - I suppose the GSR / RS differences could be the reason for this though?

The question now is silver or yellow..........? :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.