Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning my 6GSR for some 14 months, I've come to the conclusion that there lurks something about these cars that turns one into a tuning addict. What is it with these cars? Over a 10 year period I ran 3 different Sapphire Cosworths. The last one I owned had some upgrades done to make track days and general driving more enjoyable. But this EVO thing is doing my head in.. and my bank balance.

Since taking delivery of the stock car, I have at different times added HKS Induction, Super Dragger exhaust, con-rod bolts, Sports ECU, Boost upgrade, Goodridge lines and SRF brake fluid, SO2 tyres, Dragon discs (amongst others but then thats another story), and now Eibach springs. I thought the other day that that would be that. I.e, end of the line. But no, it seems I want even more.

I never suffered from this problem with the Cosworths. I used to have great fun on track days and just looked forward to the next time. But with the EVO, I do a track day and think it's too slow or it doesn't go round corners fast enough . So what is it about the EVO's then? Why do I feel this way? Why do I think if I won the lottery, I wouldn't move to a nice house, put money aside for the kids further education, etc etc, but rather blow a whole heap of money in making the fastest possible road going EVO of all time.

And this is all from someone who used to rally Imps in the 70's. What a different world we live in.

Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ian

Like you I`ve had previous fast cars which I have enjoyed without spending a fortune on them , but tuning the Evo seems an addictive thing , after spending many thousands on mine I still want to make it go faster !!

I think its because the std car is so good that you know you can drive it faster , where as others cars are fun but the chassis is already at its limit therefore scope for so much improvement isn`t available and just adding more power isn`t the answer.

I`m at the stage of either selling it and moving on to something new or spending another 3K to complete its transformation into my ultimate spec Evo .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ian,

tell me about it. I bought my evo as a family car shortly before my daughter was born...

PAH !... 4 months later and I've done all the breathing, dumpvalve and amp; springs and .....a week after that I'm getting quotes for 350bhp !!!!

a few points:

1) as dave says, teh car is so damm competent that you know that it can handle and needs more power. Its so solid and secure that to feel truly fast it would need a lot more than 300bhp.

2) the EVO is almost too competent and It may be that owners get a bit bored with this... The car does most of the work for you so some of the fun and satisfaction is taken out... the way to put more fun back in is to add BHP. CAR magazine make a good point in their recent car of the year article that the EVO doesn't make much sense until you are going very fast in it and then it is ****** AMAZING and talented beyond most other cars you care to name. I tend to agree and maybe this breeds a need to want to change the car and fiddle about with it.

3) personally, for me... I have a lightweight track car and I also have to have a big 5 seater for most of my driving needs. Theres nothing else that can match it (except arguably an M3 or P1).. period. SO I know that I will own EVOs for a while, either teh one I got or later change to a Makinen or a seven. Because of this I know that its worth spending money on tuning - EVO ownersjip is not usually fly-by-night ownership I suspect.

4) WHen you look at an EVO it looks so mean.. it looks like the fastest, most evil car you could buy so why not turn it into just that. When 350-450 brake is on offer for affordable money and the technicalities are relatively straightforward then why not ?

I agree with you entirely ... whether my points shed any light I don't know but there is something about these cars that make you get into tuning. The lotus/elise community are fanatical about tuning and spend a lot of time on the RR but it never appealed to me.. partly beacuse those cars just aren't about outright speed and amp; bhp numbers. But since owing the EVO I've got serously into the whole mod bit and even spent the other sunday cleaning my engine and all the pipes etc.. now that is a first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I must admit, the 'evil' side of the car practically encourages more than just spirited driving and I feel I must go out this morning and get my daily dose of excitement. Reading the posts and writing this is making me a bit late. Oh what a blow !

On the addiction front, I think I have a long way to go yet compared to some people on here. No names mentioned of course ;)

Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ian ,

I'm glad I'm skint that way I can only dream of what could be .A million and one things to spend my money on other than the car at the moment .Nothings cheap these days but a few track days are a must .
If I can't get the car faster then I practice getting myself faster,Thats why I don't mind paying Insurance premiums as if I do demolish things money well spent.
If only !
The next EVo I will buy will have most of the dreaming fitted to it already.Something to look forward to.:)
Always appreciate a fast EVo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mitsubishi have included a little known feature in the ECU , it's a program that induces a mania 4 more speed , power and handling , this is emitted thru a neural transmitter the location of which is unknown 2 any1 except the designer , very effective :)

Really tho , the reason 4 obssesive modding is probably because of the very positive results obtained on every step , the car just becomes better and better , more and more EVO ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Evo has the best chassis ever and can take so much more. Other cars get to their limits after a bit of tuning, this one can take so much more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe it's a subliminal thing:

A car with 280bhp as standard, and only 'cos that's the limit the Japs will produce. Therefore, if it's 280 standard, how far can you go?

Also, I think, because of the competence of the whole car, the performance becomes second nature very quickly. Getting used to the way the car drives quickly, you think god this car is so slow now, what will make it more exciting?

And it's so easy to do, pay your money, make it quicker!

A 400bhp Cossie sounds very nice, but is it useable every day? I doubt it!

P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts