Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wind nearly gave me heart failure today. Was doing a sensible speed on dual carriageway and really felt the car move under a crosswind. So much for the spoiler.

·
Twincharger Guru
4,563 Posts
You should try driving a lwb Sprinter van in this wind. It can change lanes without steering :crackup:

·
Registered
732 Posts
My focus felt like it had a mind of it's own this morning with the cross winds, holding on for me life at 70mph. This weather is doing my head in. :mad:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Madmac said:
You should try driving a lwb Sprinter van in this wind. It can change lanes without steering :crackup:
Haha, yeah I had a Zafira hire car mon & tues as I was working in Dudley. Going up the M5 I had to keep battling against the wind.. Kinda disconcerting when your doing 80 in the fast lane in the pooring rain and then a gust hits the beast and pushes me onto the white line near the armco, Sketch !

·
Registered
764 Posts
If your after stability try a Bedford Rascal van. Had a BAD moment in the mother in laws sandwich van after i'd done a service on it. wind caught hold of it and whoosh!! fish tale all over the place good job its got the grab rails on the A pillers!!!!
most scary moment of my life i can tell ya. aside from sitting next to her at christmas :help:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
TurboTom said:
the spoilers 'anti lift' , not downforce. The cars to high for downforce !
So when does anti lift become dowm force, how many pounds of downward presure become downforce? Are you saying that the aero dynamics are nuteral until the car trys to lift?
What has the hight of the car to do with the amount of force a wing can give?

Back to the origional question, the wing is not designed to give lateral stability, is a bit pant filling when this sort of thing happens though.

MB

·
Registered
273 Posts
Err???!!!

TurboTom said:
the spoilers 'anti lift' , not downforce. The cars to high for downforce !
My physics may be a little rusty here, but surely "anti lift" equates pretty strongly to "downforce" ?? Any kind of functioning "anti lift" aparatus must by definition be applying a downward force?!! :confused:

Thats like saying airplane wings provide "anti-gravity", rather than lift!! :D

Actually, Its VERY like saying that, when you consider the cross section of the wing on an 8 is an inverted aerofoil.

And I dont understand the concept of the car being to high for downforce??!! Those anti-gravity devices on planes seem to work at very high heights!!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Re: Err???!!!

PyroChris said:
My physics may be a little rusty here, but surely "anti lift" equates pretty strongly to "downforce" ?? Any kind of functioning "anti lift" aparatus must by definition be applying a downward force?!! :confused:

Actually, Its VERY like saying that, when you consider the cross section of the wing on an 8 is an inverted aerofoil.

And I dont understand the concept of the car being to high for downforce??!! Those anti-gravity devices on planes seem to work at very high heights!!
Who cares lol, the spoilers got nothing to do with anything if the winds coming from the sides. Its only effective if the winds coming straight at you. ie driving forwards.

·
Profound thinker
6,383 Posts
Re: Err???!!!

PyroChris said:

Hi matey

First thing is that both views are indeed, correct. It just depends on your point of view.

For instance, if a car without wing generates a small amount of it's own 'lift', as most do, say 2kg rear axle lift at 80mph, then you could do 1 of 3 things.

1. Nothing, let it create lift. Not always the ideal solution, eh?

2. Add a small wing to decrease the lift. A small wing that generates up to 2kg of force would, to my mind, be classified 'anti-lift', because it counteracts the cars' own lift. It is still true to say the wing is generating downforce, however, the car is not being forced positively onto the tarmac, so the car as an entire system is not generating downforce.

3. Add a bigger wing that generates anything more than the example 2kg. This can only ever be described as downforce, as the entire car is being subjected to a total reaction which forces it onto the tarmac more than it's own weight would.

I do believe that the Evo wing falls into class 2.

Someone will surely correct me if this is untrue........

Secondly, as per original question, a vehicle spoiler only acts in reaction to air moving over/under it in the 'normal' direction (ie longitudinal axis, from front to rear), and does not compensate for any cross-wind (or 'yaw') effects.

Cheerz

Rampant

·
Profound thinker
6,383 Posts
Oh yeah,

as for the "too high for downforce" comment.

Not sure what was intended by that!

- Height of car's tallest point?
- Height of underbody off road surface?

Either of these are OK. Even the 2nd one, if you wanted to manage the underbody airflow and create a proper diffuser.......

- Frontal area of car? (and drag coefficient).

Evo is quite draggy - particularly the squareness (form drag) - so generating downforce could be counter-productive, as it cannot be produced without adding extra drag.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Re: Re: Err???!!!

Rampant said:
For instance, if a car without wing generates a small amount of it's own 'lift', as most do, say 2kg rear axle lift at 80mph, then you could do 1 of 3 things.
So loosing the keys might then count as an anti lift solution then!

1. Nothing, let it create lift. Not always the ideal solution, eh?
That will be an anti down force system than?

2. Add a small wing to decrease the lift. A small wing that generates up to 2kg of force would, to my mind, be classified 'anti-lift', because it counteracts the cars' own lift. It is still true to say the wing is generating downforce, however, the car is not being forced positively onto the tarmac, so the car as an entire system is not generating downforce.
Like an Evo 260?

3. Add a bigger wing that generates anything more than the example 2kg. This can only ever be described as downforce, as the entire car is being subjected to a total reaction which forces it onto the tarmac more than it's own weight would.
Or it pushes the back down so far that the front comes way up and then..........flipperty flip!

:) :)

MB

·
Registered
307 Posts
i drove to and from work today on my bike (bandit 600) and as said above it was changing lanes for me....least it could do was indicate LOL

·
Profound thinker
6,383 Posts
Or it pushes the back down so far that the front comes way up and then..........flipperty flip!
:crackup:

Although funny, this is more true than you probably realise.......

For instance, if you owned a Porsche 993 and wanted to fit a 'Turbo S' rear spoiler, an Official Porsche Centre would only do so in conjunction with a matching front item.......... I kid you not.

For stability, you understand. The whacking extra profit is just a bonus.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Chris Holmes said:
My focus felt like it had a mind of it's own this morning with the cross winds, holding on for me life at 70mph. This weather is doing my head in. :mad:
You could always slow down a bit :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts