Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Having a heated debate at work about evo or skyline....

If you had £40k to spend what would you drive, regardless of whether you bought a RS version and modified it, you only have £40k and you can have either model any age. What would you buy and why. Is the Skyline a better car than the Evo if you are to spend the same amount of money????

How do the two differ so I can explain in further detail to my Audi driving plonks at work.

Napier

·
Registered
138 Posts
My mate has got an r34 gtr and has just got an evo 8 for the summer. You cant compare both cars as they are totally different. The skyline is a big heavy car and loves big long sweeping corners where as an evo you can throw around a lot easier and is a lot more manic.Ones a rally car the other a GT. I have drove the skyline loads of times and i personally dont like them, much rather spend my money on an evo.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
hmmmm

So as stated in the question if you had £40k to spend what would you buy and why?

Say for example you bought a Evo 8 RS and out of the change (again remember up to £40k) you upgraded it, would that be better than a skyline upgraded. Bearing in mind purchase price for skylines....

What do you think guys, I really have always wondered what the difference is between these two and why there is so much hype around skylines. Is this the same old xyz is better than a evo argument however the person stating this stupid fact hasn't taken into account the price of xyz?

Napier

Sorry that was not very clear - for example so many people compare the evo to the likes of a M3, RS4, Porkies, skylines etc I really annoys me as these are all so much more expensive than our evos. If we spent the same on our evo then our evo would be better right?

I think this is one of my main gripes about this forum and the discussions on it the comparisons!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Read Colonel Mullets comparison of the two cars, very good, kind of like a less arrogant Jeremy Clarkson

click

As for the £40K question, there's an almost infinite number of variables and definition of 'better' is extremely subjective. It boils down to horses for courses.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
chunky said:
Nearly new Evo VIII 260 + exhaust + Ecutek remap (say, £23k?) PLUS

Decent Gunmetal R32 GTR (£10k?) & the rest in mods
This is a good answer :cool:

If you want a straight line tool then the Skybus is the obvious choice. If you want an all-rounder then the Evo has the better rep, although it is not impossible to get a Skyline to corner just as effectively, especially if you have enough cash left over after engine mods to shed some weight and fit race bred suspension.

Spend 40k on an Evo 1 RS plus mods and you would embarrass most of the cars on here (you can get a good 400/400 at the wheels for that money plus the weight loss and the suspension / brake upgrades). Do it a particular way and very few people could tell as well ;)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
NumptyScrub said:
Spend 40k on an Evo 1 RS plus mods and you would embarrass most of the cars on here (you can get a good 400/400 at the wheels for that money plus the weight loss and the suspension / brake upgrades). Do it a particular way and very few people could tell as well ;)
yikes.... :eek: :confused:
you didn't really mean an Evo 1 ...did you ?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Again i agree with the horses for courses reply.

It really all depends what you mean by the 'better' car. What scale do you want to assess it on. If you want to use 0-60 there is more scope to improve the times on the Skyline. If your looking to assess upon top speed then, again, the skyline has more potential.
If your looking to assess it on something more subjective and more real of a car....like the feel of the ride then i have never driven any car ever that feels like the Evo does. The transition between person and road is made almost seemless by the Evo. Again, if you want to assess it on fun the Evo is an incredible machine.

Your asking a really difficult question which really can't be answer with either yes or no!!

They are undoubtedly both top notch cars!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree

I agree to some extent that they are both great cars. However again everyone that has replied is doing so without even mentioning the price difference between the two.

Brand new and even second hand the skyline from what I know of is more expensive than the evo. So to compare surely you have to add the difference in £ to the evo in mods to give a good comparison.

Not sure if I am getting my point across, firstly I hate the way comparisons are made on this forum. Secondly I don't know (eventhough now learning) what the differences are between the two cars. Thirdly if you had the same budget and could buy either which would you go for?

Bearning in mind my focus is track times and day to day driving more than what feels nicer on a motorway at cruising speed as these cars are destined for so much more than that.

Napier

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
xlr8 said:
yikes.... :eek: :confused:
you didn't really mean an Evo 1 ...did you ?
I may just be horribly retarded, was there no RS variant of the 1 or something (if not just buy a 1 GSR then)? I was assuming you could pick one up for ~5k, spend 25k on the engine and 10k on brakes and suspension (any leftovers buying lighter bits after you scuttle it of non-essential items).

If 25k won't get you 400/400 at the wheels I'll have to ask Mark what it would cost to copy T27s spec :eek:

Edit:
Napier wrote
Brand new and even second hand the skyline from what I know of is more expensive than the evo. So to compare surely you have to add the difference in £ to the evo in mods to give a good comparison.
I believe that was the reason behind the "you have a 40k budget" bit, ie. buy the car and then spend any extras on mods to even the playing field.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
no ..was referring to the £40 K budget which is too much

E1 RS..approx £3- 3.5K
engine/turbo/cams £5-6K
manifold £400
external wastegate £200
budget management + mapping £1200 (e.g haltech, emerald, ams)
e7-8 intercooler £200
hoses £200
suspension £800
brakes £600 (or £150 for carbotech pads / braided lines only)
wheels & tyres £500
dog-box gear set £800 (not dog box)
£1000 for unforeseen expenses
total: approx £14 - £16,000

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The skyline and evo are 2 very different cars!! The skyline is capable of massive bhp compared to the Evo but then the Evo is more fun to drive and tend to be just a fraction rarer.

Really does depend what you want out of a car. Skyline faster in straight line but evo would muller it on a bendy road/track and in the wet I wouldn't even bother with the skyline!!

As we live in quite a wet country I'll let you choose.....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: hmmmm

Essexboy posted my original Evo/Skyline comparison above but if you want some more Evo-favourable comments then there are a few here

However...

Napier said:
Sorry that was not very clear - for example so many people compare the evo to the likes of a M3, RS4, Porkies, skylines etc I really annoys me as these are all so much more expensive than our evos. If we spent the same on our evo then our evo would be better right?

I think this is one of my main gripes about this forum and the discussions on it the comparisons!
I don't get this at all. Why is it not 'right' to compare cars just because their original list prices were different? Once you get into the realms of second-hand values, all of the cars you list are in the same range - for the price of a new IX340 you could have a top-quality M3, RS4, 993 or R34 GTR. I fail to see why such a comparison between potential purchases should 'annoy' you!

As for the Skyline question, for a given budget of £10k, £20k, £30k or £40k there are Evos and Skylines to buy. At any of these price points, an Evo is not automatically somehow going to be 'better' than the Skyline apart from it being newer. A £20k properly-sorted ~550bhp R33 GTR is going to be a better car than a standard £20k FQ300. A nicely-modified £40k 400+bhp R34 GTR is undoubtedly a better car than a £40k FQ400.

It works the other way too - a £30k standard FQ320 is a better car than a £30k standard R34 GTR. A £12k modified 380bhp Evo 6 is better than a standard £12k R33 GTR.

If you are desperate to make a point to your GTR-snob colleagues then go back to what Aidy said originally - a standard Evo is going to be better than a standard GTR at any price point. But you're really on a hiding to nothing if you're trying to compare modified cars on some kind of misguided 'yours was more expensive to start with so it doesn't count' basis.

·
Registered
625 Posts
xlr8 said:

E1 RS..approx £3- 3.5K
engine/turbo/cams £5-6K
manifold £400
external wastegate £200
e7-8 intercooler £200
hoses £200
suspension £800
wheels & tyres £500
As above but with an E3 RS :D

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
xlr8 said:

E1 RS..approx £3- 3.5K
engine/turbo/cams £5-6K
manifold £400
external wastegate £200
e7-8 intercooler £200
hoses £200
suspension £800
wheels & tyres £500
We have 40k to spend, why go budget? I'd be putting the AP 330mm or 362mm kit on, full Ohlins rally suspension, 600bhp engine build with Autronics and a BB turbo that will flow enough for 600bhp (don't know enough about turbos to be able to name one that would work), methanol injection, maybe a dry nitrous system with a controller set up to use it to reduce lag at low rpm rather than the usual supplement to intake at high rpm. Remove / replace anything heavy, add everything bar a full rollcage to stiffen the chassis, and get some understated wheels to hide the big brakes (could you get custom steelies made up to fit, and then add those plastic fake alloy hubcaps?).

You should be able to get it down to 1100kg or less and 400/400 at the wheels, unless I've miscalculated the costs (or the viability) of some of the mod options.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.