Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys recently developed a problem on my ego 8, turn the key all electrics work as they should, battery is full and good as i tried jump starting it now when i turn the key i hear the starter click but doesn't turn, its defiantly clicking as i had a mate turn the key while i had my hand on the starter and it clicked but isn't cranking. So i replaced the starter for a brand spanking new one and much to my grief same damn problem it clicks but doesn't turn.

i also removed the ignition switch and tried turning it fully with a screw driver while it was out and it made no difference, i only removed it as some folks had the switch worn out but mine does not make a difference, but i can see a spark when i turn the key from this switch could this be a sign of a faulty switch??

can the relay being faulty also cause this?

·
S.Wales R.O./Electrician
4,126 Posts
Have you got a good earth to the engine / starter as a poor earth will cause the symptoms you're describing.

Clip a jump lead from the neg post of the battery to the engine near the starter or on the starter itself and try again.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
Why not just carry out voltage and continuity checks of the starting system, it would take around 20 mins (it's a simple system) and you'd find where the problem lay.

Throwing components at it is just costly guesswork.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Why not just carry out voltage and continuity checks of the starting system, it would take around 20 mins (it's a simple system) and you'd find where the problem lay.

Throwing components at it is just costly guesswork.
Easiest approach as you know car starts when push started, theres a small clipwith lead that connects to starter check that.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ah yes thats the solenoid ground, so the motors not spinning? Engine grounds chassis grounds is where id suspect

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Clicking is usually when the battery has enough power to turn the cars electrics on, but not enough juice to turn the starter motor. Test the battery or try a known good one would be my first port of call

·
Registered
156 Posts
years ago when i had my 8 i had a problem similar. not sure what it was but a small spade terminal underneath the car was not making proper contact with what it was connected too.
Im sure someone with better knowledge than me will know what im on about

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
years ago when i had my 8 i had a problem similar. not sure what it was but a small spade terminal underneath the car was not making proper contact with what it was connected too.
Im sure someone with better knowledge than me will know what im on about
this will be the signal wire to the starter

Stu

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
Like I said, forget guesswork, check the wiring with a multimeter.

Check you have 12v supply at the starter - (20B-L) Black/blue wire at main connection at the starter (B-04).

Also check 12v supply at the starter switch, black/red wire (B-05) with ignition key in start position.

If no good, check you have 12v supply at the starter relay, pins 2 & 3 and 12v leaving pin 5 of the relay, to check the relay is switching closed. If not, check clutch switch by jumping the switch. If needed, check ground from pin 1 of starter relay with clutch switch jumped or closed.

If no good, check 12v supply at the ignition switch, when ignition key is turned, black/yellow (3B-Y)

If voltages at the source are good, but not at the end connection, check continuity of wiring between those 2 points.

Attachments

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
Easiest approach as you know car starts when push started, theres a small clipwith lead that connects to starter check that.
Easiest approach is to carry out simple wiring checks with a multimeter.

The starter wiring is very simple.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
if you can understand it has to be very simple :eek: ;)
Of course, it's way more complicated than the wiring and avionics systems that I used to work on, on £50m Airbus A320's! :lol:

Cars, puh, childs play. :crackup:

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
guys i really appreciate every bodies input, new ignition switch and new starter later, i found out my problem was the positive terminal was loose lol so i tightened it and car has been working since spot on.

because of you guys helpful input in trying to help me i have decided to become a paid member :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts