Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all my Evo IX has developed a strange hesitation, it happens all the time and is more noticeable when under load up a hill, the hill doesn't have to be steep either, happens around 2k revs and feels like the car is jolting, it does it when driving along say in slow traffic and I find it hard to maintain a constant speed without the car jolting.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be, I have changed the spark plugs last weekend so they are practically new but it's still doing it, also when on idle it seems to be quite fuely, I know these arnt the cleanest of cars but it seems to smell more of petrol from the exhaust when idleing. Also seems to be using a lot of fuel lately to as I do the same journey to work everyday.

Any help on this would be much appreciated :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Are you running MAF. Is so try pulling the plug off and see if its any better. If it is the chances are its your Maf sensor. Just a thought as I had a similar problem

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Going by what you said I'd personally be looking at ignition first, misfires or poor performance whilst under load can be a sign of a weak spark.

What gaps are you running in the plugs? Possibly check the two ht leads for damage.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you running MAF. Is so try pulling the plug off and see if its any better. If it is the chances are its your Maf sensor. Just a thought as I had a similar problem
I'm a total newb to working on cars, would you be able to show me a picture of what to disconnect so I can try it? Where abouts would I find it? Next to air box?

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going by what you said I'd personally be looking at ignition first, misfires or poor performance whilst under load can be a sign of a weak spark.

What gaps are you running in the plugs? Possibly check the two ht leads for damage.
That's what I thought, maybe one of the coil packs is giving up as it's just started doing it about a month ago, I've always used the same plugs for it which are the laser iridium plugs for the IX, been fine for the past 2 years using them so I don't think it's them. Is there anyway of testing the coilpacks?

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this might be a long shot but would a lightened flywheel make it run like that at certain revs? Thinking about it, it's only started doing it since I had the clutch done :D

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
I know this might be a long shot but would a lightened flywheel make it run like that at certain revs? Thinking about it, it's only started doing it since I had the clutch done :D
not sure about that, but if the engine has been disturbed as much as a clutch change, then i'd definitely be testing for leaks, if only just to eliminate

Stu

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not sure about that, but if the engine has been disturbed as much as a clutch change, then i'd definitely be testing for leaks, if only just to eliminate

Stu
Ok, is there any specific pipes etc to look at and look out for?

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Ok, is there any specific pipes etc to look at and look out for?
yep, all of them :lol:

Easiest way is to rig up a pressure tester with a compressor turned down to about 1.5 bar, and an adapter to connect it to the engine

If thats not an option for you, then traders have various ways to test for leaks

Stu

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep, all of them :lol:

Easiest way is to rig up a pressure tester with a compressor turned down to about 1.5 bar, and an adapter to connect it to the engine

If thats not an option for you, then traders have various ways to test for leaks

Stu
Ok that's brilliant mate, I don't have any tools to test it at all so I'll have to take it somewhere to get checked. Thank you once again for the info :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Depends on model? I know my fq360 is around 1.4 bar standard map. Obviously lesser models would be lower.

·
Need 4 Speed
429 Posts
Not hijacking your thread here, however this sounds very much like what I'm currently experiencing.

My IX FQ-360 has been parked up over the cold winter and not switched on at all. The weather has been nice recently and thought I'd better get it out. I bought it out over the weekend gone and got it detailed. I did detail the engine bay and part of this involved me removing the Forge BOV and standard air filter so I could give it a good clean.

So I'm experiencing the jolting and something rather very "scary", after giving it hard drive (no launching as such), I heard a pop & bang of some sort from the engine bay whilst travelling between 30-40mph before merging into a carriageway. Not sure what this was but didn't sound healthy at all.

I've now parked it back up before I cause it further damage not sure what this is but I'm booked in with M.G autos to check this over.

I hope you get your car diagnosed and fixed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts