Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior French User
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Evo IX with 550/600 HP nd 60+ mkg used for road and track.
I have a 40000km old exedy twin that is probably dead (or dying). I have to change it.
I was not happy with the feeling of the exedy, too brutal and very hard to drive on the road. Horrible for starting on a slope also.

What would you advise (clutch and wheel) for such power and torque with the most OEM pedal feeling as possible?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
If you have run the Exedy twin disc for 40,000 km you are very lucky; you can read on the MLR that this clutch is subject to erratic reliability sometimes after only 500 to 2,000km and no support at all from Exedy .
If you are not satisfied with the feel of the pedal and the way it operates, it is quite difficult to find a single plate clutch that will deal with the level of torque that you have.
After destroying my first Twin disc Exedy I tried an ATC (as recommended by GLR, rated at 67 N.m): it will not bed in before 500km, it is rather brutal with a ligth throttle and the pedal is firmer than an OEM. Mileage does not improve its behavior drastically. As for standing start: very difficult not to burn it after one or two starts so be careful.
I have put back a new Twin disc from Exedy (I usually don't gamble....) and I feel so much better with its operation: let's cross fingers for the reliability.
I am not sure that all the instructions are given for a proper installation of these kind of clutches.
I have read on the description of a Evo recently on the MLR that the bolts of the mechanism holding the cover of the plates (not sure if that is correct) were hard wired: is there an issue with these bolts ?

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Xtrem clutch looks like some rebadged exedy no?
cant really say.. I only have the heavy duty single plate version with their light flywheel.. I wanted to try them as opposed to the ACT clutches we tried before ... (I have only good experience with ACT I have to say)

I did try the twin plate organic helix and that clutch pedal force was even lower than OEM..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts