Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my car out the garage this morning and it was idling Ok. Went 3 miles down the road and now it hunts around at idle and sometimes stalls. Looked in my £75 Ralliart workshop manual- useless. Anyone got an idea what it could be?

I have had battery problems in the last couple of weeks, don't know if that has done any damage?

Cheers

Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could be a number of things , but check the simplist first. Air leaks wud be 1st on my list so check yr intake pipework including the intercooler connections , if u have a dump valve installed check that and it's vacuum line , same applies to a boost guage.
After that I would suspect sensors providing info to the ecu , so stuff like throttle position potentiometer , temp sensors etc , wiring connectors and so on.
After that things become more involved !!

Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THE IDLE SPEED CONTROL MOTOR WILL FOREGT ITS IDLE SETTING IF THE BATTARY HAS GONE FLAT AND WILL NEED RESETTING WITH THE MUT11.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mitsboy,
The idle speed control motor ' forgetting ' its settings, is this true for all EVO's and would it also happen when just diconnecting the battery for a short while ?

Mr Mime

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MR MIME
ALL MITSUBISHI CARS HAVE AN IDLE SPEED CONTROL MOTOR WHICH SHOULD BE RESET AT EVERY SERVICE OR WHEN SYSTEM VOLTAGE IS INTERUPTED,IF YOURS IS NOT IDLING CORRECTLY IT WOULD BE THE FIRST THING I WOULD LOOK AT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mitsboy,
Thanks for the reply! My six has had an idle problem, that comes and goes when the engine is hot.
When I test drove the car ( twice before purhase)it was not present. But the people who I bought it from then had an alarm fitted. I then took the car home and that's the first time I saw the problem.
They couldn't sort it out, and I let it go because
I wasn't losing power or anything drastic like that.
I thought it may have been a vacuum leak, and was going to get it checked out at GGR when I took the car in for the cam belts.

But you reckon you need the MUTII to set it up ? Would Ralliart, Dudley, 'entertain' a parallel import ?

-Mr Mime

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Evo VI has had the battery disconnected more times than I can remember , sometimes for days , I have never had a problem on restart or subsequent running.
Ralliart Dudley will work on imports , so don't be shy !!

Idling for now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mr Mime

I had a problem like this before after a alarm was fitted and the engine cut for the immobiliser was to the engine ECU live (wrong wire) so each time the alarm was armed it would lose its memory for engine idle. This was on a Galant which has similar wiring. Find out where the engine cut was made.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies chaps, I'll check out the alarm wiring and/or book my self a session with the MUT-II at the Ralliart garage.

- Mr Mime

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just come back from holiday and see that my original thread has been discussed quite a bit. My battery was completly dead on my return so have just been to Halfords to get a new battery. Only £39.99 by the way and a 3 yr garantee.

I am a bit confused about this idle problem that I have. Why would it lose the setting when the battery is disconnected? The idle is controlled with a stepper motor/servo that receives pulses from the ECU. Surely these pulses would stay the same after the ECU has lost its power? I will take it to my Mitsy dealer and see if it can be reset with the MUT II but am concerned that this will keep happening when ever I need to disconnect the battery.

Anyone else had idle problems on their EVO 4/5/6 on battery disconnection?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.