Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys,

I recently purchased an Evo 4 that I've just been having constant wiring and battery issues with. The car needs to be jump started if I don't drive it for a day or two, even then it struggles to start, I got a new battery that has been having the same issue (I also know nothing about auto electronics). This is annoying because it's my weekend car so I only really drive once a week.

It has an AM Amp & Sub with pretty dodgy wiring (which I've recently unplugged) and an alarm & immobilizer. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try and how I can maybe avoid it being jump started?

·
S.Wales R.O./Electrician
4,126 Posts
What is the current draw on the battery when the car is locked and sat for about ten minutes?

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Current draw is what you need to be looking for. Get a cheap multimeter remove the negative terminal from the battery and place the meter in between on Amp setting, or get a cheap clamp meter and just pop it over the negative terminal.

From there you need to see what the drain is, and to locate the drain remove and refit items/fuses one by one until you see a noticeable change.

You could find this will be anything from a boot lamp not turning off, an old tracker you never knew was fitted, a faulty alternator or any of your in car entertainment.

·
Very Senior User
1,078 Posts
Most Evos will drain the battery in 2 or 3 weeks so a CTEK or similar maintenance charger is a must. However after 2 or 3 days suggests a fault somewhere. If you connect a fully charged battery and it still struggles to crank then it could be a corroded ground connection - this is another evo "feature"!

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Had this on previous cars but not with an evo,it was a tracker on a Subaru I had once it was removed I had no more problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts