Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
For those people that have an Evo I with the stock 15 wheels on, could you please give me the wheel width and offset? Also, Mitsubishi increased the track by 15mm on the Evo II. What was changed to do this? I was figuring just the wheel offset, but that would require a xx.5 offset. Not likely. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I believe the standard wheels are 6 wide, no idea n the offset though, I'll have t mesure it when I get home.
15mm, thats quite a large amount. If you do find out how they did it I'd be interested myself.
TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Nuts !
If I measure the off-set it will be with a tyre on it, so it won't be much good for you to use when comparing other wheels.
If anyone has an EVO 1 wheel with no tyre I can give you the easy instructions for measure in the offset so it can posted up here.....
TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
AFAIK the offset for the GSR and Evo 1 (if not the 2 and 3 aswell) should be 42-45mm although I know of cars running with 40-47mm offsets.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Anyway the offset determines the width or track of the car. So if you were to fit with with slightly more offset then all you are doing is giving the car a wider track. The problem comes with fitting the tyres under the arches.
Dont reduce though or it'l foul the suspension etc http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >
TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
It can affect suspension geometry, tyre wear, turn in and other things.

Giving the car a wider stance by increasing the offset will increase the load on the steering pump and can lead to premature failure. Apparently the 'bigfoot' look on Vitaras (eeugh!) and the like causes a lot of problems like this.

A few mm either way can't hurt though.

Another thing: when looking into tyre/wheel sizes I became less concerned about getting them perfectly matched, the difference in rolling radius between a new tyre and one due for replacement (or indeed different brands) can be as much as 20mm. The 'plus one' concept usually gives much less variation than this.

I hadn't thought about it before, but this 20mm wear on the tyres must affect the speedo reading somewhat. Hmmmm....

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Eeeek! A vitara size alteration was slightly more than I was talking about.
Ultimatley it will affect the geometry but you need to go more than a few mm's.
Load on the wheel bearings etc does increase, but again a couple mms would be ok.
Just dont fit wheel spacers http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >
TonyC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts