Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

It seems like I am having 5th gear grind only at high rpms. The tranny has already been rebuilt with only about 3k miles. Brand new bearings and syncros.

I have already taken the end cover off to check the syncro and it looks brand new and the gear teeths looks good. I even retorqued the 36mm nuts. New Redline MTL with lsd additive in it and it still grinds at 5th gear at high rpms.

I am wondering if the shifter bushings are worn out or the shift fork or 5th/reverse sycnro hub is bad?

By the way, I am wondering if those EVO I gearbox have 2 spider gear center differential? How much power can those EVO I gearbox take? I am worried about the center differential breaking under too much power from launching.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Even if the synchro and gear look ok they can still be shagged. I replaced the hub as well as the ring and gear when I did mine and its smooth as a smooth thing now

·
Registered
262 Posts
1800t-GSR said:
Even if the synchro and gear look ok they can still be shagged. I replaced the hub as well as the ring and gear when I did mine and its smooth as a smooth thing now
I have the same problem, never really noticed until last week-end but I really go for it 5th grinds, if I slow the change down it is ok....

Can the job be done without taking the gearbox off?? and what price are parts???

;)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Mine was the same it only did it at the high revs but let it die down and it went in fine.

Yep can be dont with just taking off the wheel and plastic arch liner. I've a post in the tech archive section on how to change 5th gear and synchro. IIRC parts werent cheap. Think it was around £300 from [email protected] for the hub, gear, ring and two 36mm nuts(All were genuine mitsubishi parts). The gear and the hub were the expensive bits.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh right, another MLR sucess post, great help, thanks for the time.... I will have to let it get worse before doing the job, need time to save up....

When am I gonna stop spending money on this little beast??? there's not a week goes by that I dont need to buy something for it.. arghhh... :cry:

Reactions: AndyH

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
No need for it to get worse. Just take it easy going into 5th gear and it should be relatively unharmfull to the current damage. I know what you mean about ploughing money into them. Mines been ok of late touch wood but it is a pain in the ass when one thing after another happens. Just wait for the time when everythings running sweet as a nut and youre happy as Larry(for a while) :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
1800t-GSR said:
No need for it to get worse. Just take it easy going into 5th gear and it should be relatively unharmfull to the current damage. I know what you mean about ploughing money into them. Mines been ok of late touch wood but it is a pain in the ass when one thing after another happens. Just wait for the time when everythings running sweet as a nut and youre happy as Larry(for a while) :D
Thanks, Looking at what we paid for it and what we have spent it would have been cheaper in the long run to have bought a lter Evo, but I will stick with it now, it is very clean underneath and the body is good too, just a lot of niggles, getting there though, hopefully the list of problems is getting shorter, I guess we are still getting used to it and haven't had it for too long really.... these things take ages to sort out....

Handbrake cables (both) last week... then we discovered..

pads shot, so new rear pads........... then.... we found....

Top rear arms this week..............

Paint job on wheels last week.....

What next..??? :coolsm:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same problem with my evo1 gearbox as well, i had it fully rebuilt a little while ago, cost me a lot and it is very hard to get into 5th, you really need to force it into it, its like the syncro hasn't been worn into the new cog teeth yet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That doesnt sound right, the syncro hub does't to my knowledge need running in as it were....

sounds like you have another probkem...

Has it been like that since it was done???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That doesn't sound right either. New syncros should work just fine right away. I thought maybe I might have bent fork or something. Maybe possible worn shifter bushings????

·
Registered
103 Posts
Evolute said:
I have the same problem with my evo1 gearbox as well, i had it fully rebuilt a little while ago, cost me a lot and it is very hard to get into 5th, you really need to force it into it, its like the syncro hasn't been worn into the new cog teeth yet.
yup got it back like that, i've never driven another evo of the same era so i cant comment on others, i just thought it was normal.

I havn't taken it back to the place because quite frankly they were absolutely useless, for a mitsi dealership they crap!!!!!!

first to 4th is absolutely mint, 5th is average.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a kind chap locally to av a look and see what might be happening.... shouldn't be too bad I guess as fifth gear is accessiable with the box in the car...

Others around may well have first hand experience with this end of the box....

I know I have to do something with my fifth gear, as it grinds unless you change very slowly........... not always possible... ;)

And of course if on track we all need fast gear changes.... :coolsm:

·
Registered
103 Posts
well i took my time the other day to study why it is hard to get into 5th etc and i think i have a fairly good reason, in the mornings to work or whenever the car is cold i never got over 3000rpm and i am usually at 50 in th gear which i think is where my problem lies, i think i am going to slow for 5th gear.

Am i right in my thinking?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It should not matter what speed you put the gear in. If going too high of gear on low rpm could make the engine struggle or bog down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Agreed, fifth gear should be easy at any speed, and as has been said before, just being in fifth at low speeds will only make everything shudder and shake....

Fifth should be as easy as any other gear... if everything is ok... :p

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
You might be as well checking the bushes from the shifter to the actual gearbox. They might be worn they might not but I always start with the cheapest/easiest/obvious things before I go on to the more complicated/pain in the ass jobs like taking the box apart :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1800t-GSR said:
You might be as well checking the bushes from the shifter to the actual gearbox. They might be worn they might not but I always start with the cheapest/easiest/obvious things before I go on to the more complicated/pain in the ass jobs like taking the box apart :D
Thats what I plan on doing before replacing the 5th gear components.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
At least the 5th gear is a DIY job thats relatively easy (See above link) Hope its something more simple though :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah it is definitely DIY project. I already took syncro out to inspect it and retorqued the nuts just to check and fix the end case leak.

I will check the bushings and linkages before condeming the 5th gear parts.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts