Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at adding some power to my evo 9 fq300, I know people say running a evo 8 safely on a standard block to 380bhp, but can my Mivec run more power? Or just the same? I've just bought the car and by the looks of it, it's just got de cat, cat back exhaust and hks mushroom. So was hoping to get it upto around or 400bhp. Without forging if possible? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
A hell of a lot of evo's run 400 without forging. Previous owner had mine running 400 for years, im coming into second year of ownership, no problems at all!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
And if you freel nervouse about you engine letting go you can always get your rods done for abot £1300 and you are good for 500bhp+ then :D

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Been running just over 400/400 for over 4 years here.
Runs as sweet as it did back then too :)
Touch wood it stays that way for many years to come.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi,

Been there, done that and my journey can be found here:

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=535305

Torque is the killer: kills Gear boxes, Diffs, Clutches, Rods.. As long as you keep it within the limits you can easily achieve 400/400 without going down the rod job route. Selecting the right tuner is also important as they will only push it to safe limits as back street tuners would be more than happy to go beyond capabilities.

If you do go down the rod job route at first it sounds cheap at £1300-£1500 but it'll save you money (Labour+Remapping) if the supporting mods are done at the same time. regardless it'll make the engine over spec'd for 400/400 but it'll also make it ready to achieve up to 550Bhp Maximum when you add more parts, any more then you'll need to go down the fully forge route.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was looking at adding some power to my evo 9 fq300, I know people say running a evo 8 safely on a standard block to 380bhp, but can my Mivec run more power? Or just the same? I've just bought the car and by the looks of it, it's just got de cat, cat back exhaust and hks mushroom. So was hoping to get it upto around or 400bhp. Without forging if possible? Thanks

You might find with them mods it's probably already mapped. Worth spending £80-100 on a dyno shootout to confirm numbers before remapping. It would also confirm AFR, Boost levels as well as power and torque.

:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might find with them mods it's probably already mapped. Worth spending £80-100 on a dyno shootout to confirm numbers before remapping. It would also confirm AFR, Boost levels as well as power and torque.

:smthumbup
Yeah I think it has been mapped, I've noticed it's not had it's fuel pump upgraded, so i was hoping having this done and a remap I could gain some extra horses!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you take it to any reputable tuner they will plug it in to a laptop and check the ecu to see if it's been mapped. It shouldn't then cost 80-100 for a power run. Dead money paying that out of your then gonna pay £350+ to get it mapped (should it need it). I'd be surprised if it has if it's still on std fuel pump. Do you have a boost gauge? Any idea what boost it's running?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you take it to any reputable tuner they will plug it in to a laptop and check the ecu to see if it's been mapped. It shouldn't then cost 80-100 for a power run. Dead money paying that out of your then gonna pay £350+ to get it mapped (should it need it). I'd be surprised if it has if it's still on std fuel pump. Do you have a boost gauge? Any idea what boost it's running?
Thanks for you help mate that's a good idea, I'm looking into where I'm going to take the car to get it checked over, do you recommend anywhere in the north west? No there's no boost gauge. It's pretty standard apart from the exhaust and filter.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not sure on the north west as it from round their. I know there are a few who are in the area though.
Evotune are in Durham and Jamie is a top lad who will see you right. Simon norton also maps cars he is Sheffield area I believe (SBN1979 on here) or Norton tuning solutions.
In the trader discussion area on 1st pinned post there is a map of traders. You will see a few in your area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts