Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need clarifcation on something. Are the evo 8 valve springs tapered or is it the retainers that are tapered :confused: :confused:

I got a set of Crower valve springs and titanium retainers today and the springs dont look tapered. The retainers are though.

Help :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still unsure weather it is the spring itself that is tapered or that its the retainer cap that is tapered :confused: :confused:

So many people saying different things.

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any engine builders out there know or anyone with experience changing the valve springs on evo 8's? :confused:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
[email protected] said:

on an 8 they have a smaller retainer and a tapered spring , but you can only get straight aftermarket springs, hence you need to fit either standard retainers or similar aftermarket ones.

And here is what Piper Cams said:

The evo8 uses connical springs as these have a variable rate to them, this means that the further you compress it, the greater the resistance. The reason these are used is less stress on the valve train but you can still run a quite high rate spring. The side affect of this is a smaller spring cap which helps with clearance but is not the reason for the design.

We are aware that the spring cap and the cam follower roller are very close (in all EVO engines) but there is still adequate clearance when the engine is up to oil presure. In our EVO8 cam kits we do supply different spring caps. This is not because of a clearance issue but to set the valve spring fitted length correctly (the EVO8 head is a slightly different casting around the spring seats - no doubt because of the use of a connical spring).

Something I have been looking at myself. Hope that helps. :D :cool:

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, so the Crower springs and ratainers i have - exactly like the ones in the picture above - should not be put into my car?

Do you think i should just run the 272 cams on standard springs an retainers to avoid any problems?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Ive been running Jun springs and titanium retainers for a while now and I havent had any clearance issues (just afew others) :crackup:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
so have you fitted the cams Blair with or without the standard springs?
Andy

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
andy i said:
so have you fitted the cams Blair with or without the standard springs?
Andy
Yes mate, everything has been fitted :D Crower springs and retainers went in too with no problems. Its a vicious rumour about problems with aftermarket springs on an 8 head. No probs at all.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
blair260 said:
Its a vicious rumour about problems with aftermarket springs on an 8 head. No probs at all.
Not for me its not.... ive still got problems....... 11 weeks without my car now :cry: :cry: :blah: :blah:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts