Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a standard 8 mr rs and really need to change the seats.... Have seen loads of seats etc but cant get any info as to how to mount them etc......

The standard seats are useless and I really need to change these as I would like to do track days etc... I just cant believe mitsi or any seat manufacturers dont make any mounts etc to fit different seats... If I had a ford or scoob it wouldnt be a prob as loads of seat manufacturers offer seat mounts... but not for the evo????

Just wondered what the people on here used and how they got round the problem...

I would be more than happy to fit some side mount buckets but cant find anyone or anywhere that can come up with some solutions...

All people keep saying is fit the standard evo recaro's in.... I really dont want to go down this route....

Just wondered if anybody had any sugestions as to what how much and where to go to solve my seating problem.....

Any advice or help is more than apprec. as I really cant see a way forward and need to get these done asap......

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Probably not too useful to you, but i was looking into this myself and most seat manufacturers will be able to supply seat mounts/ runners.

Example

When you select to buy, the option of a fitting kit is made available.

I dare say most seat makers will have a similar adaptor??!!

From Cobra website.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
From my competition days - fitting a "proper" carbon or kevlar backed bucket seat involved welding cross members (usually constructed from roll cage tube with guset brackets or box section) from the sill to center tunel - the alloy side mounts that the seat was secured with then fastened to these cross members. - as a nice side effect this gives some pretty good side impact protection.

the side mounts have a number of different holes to give adjustment but this does involve a alen key usualy - production car style mounts are not allowed in comp cars as they are inherantly weaker.

If you want it done well it's a job best left to a profesional competition car shell preparation company - someone like safety devices would be able to help you i'm sure.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mate have asked but nobody does a kit for the evo 8.....

Base mounting frames is a defo no-no and the side mounts wont fit either.....

Just want to fit some decent seats into my car.....!!!!.....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mate this is the only solution I can come up with..... seems mad to me!!!!

The only prob with that is I guess it'll cost and arm and a leg and what happens in a few years when I come to sell the car on?? It'll have bleeding great lumps of metal welded all over the place....

I would ideally take this route but as I said it will cost a small fortune and I wasnt looking at a full on competition car just a car I could do a track days in maybe once a month or so....

There must be another solution.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 8 MR RS as well and got myself a set of Cobra recliners, I then realised that I needed to get some subframes and after much looking around I ordered 2 Kansai HKS lower subframes from Sumo Power at £180 a pop and a long wait to get them over from Japan.

Nearly all seats have similar top mountings so Cobra, Recaro and Sparco claim it the floor fixings which are specific for each model! Therefore nearly any seat will bolt onto the standard Recaro subframe, just might sit a bit high hence I went for the lowered ones.

It is a real pain in the butt as I just presumed that the rubbish seats would have the same subframe as the Recaros.....no such luck!

I'll let you know how easy the Cobras were to fit once I get the frames.

Quote from Cobra.....Sadly we don't do a fitting kit for the Evo range at the moment, although your sidewinders will have the Recaro fitment pattern under the fabric. Most of our customers buy the Recaro frame from co-ord sport in Dudley and this fits the car well.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Mark Dunsford
Cobra Seats

PS - Have you changed the brakes yet!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
In the USA we can get Bride seats from Japan. They make a full race bucket or recaro style adjustable seat. They also make sliding mounting brackets which work for the Evo 8, my friend has them in his car currently. He got them here:

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Bride/BrideSeats.htm

I think the seat rails can be used with other race buckets. Not sure if they are FIA approved. Maybe you can find a source in Europe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes Bride is the way to go.

http://www.takakaira.co.jp/asp/template.asp?id=206&cat=3&prodID=IJjFgGgbdCeahDc

I just fitted a Cobra FIA approved bucket seat on my Bride FG-Type seat rails in my drift 200SX , works perfectly.

What specification are your original RS seats exactly?

I am looking for narrow fit fabric Recaro's for my EVO 8 260 to replace the wide fit Recaro leather seats.

rupert

·
Registered
144 Posts
You don't want the seats from the RS!! Basically they're the seats from the basic model Mitsubishi Lancer/whatever the Evo is based on...!

My Missis has got a freelander which has more supportive seats......as the RS is a base for racing/rallying they presume that everyone will change the seats.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brilliant!!! Looking at the Takai web site the bride seat mounts fit straight into an EVO 8 without any hassle just a case of unbolting old ones and bolting new ones on.... plus they do a side mount option so you can have a side mount bucket with a slider on the standard mounting points.......

All my prayers have been answered!!!!!

Why dont uk suppliers know of such products??? Seems strange???

Cheers guys.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Transformer said:
Brilliant!!! Looking at the Takai web site the bride seat mounts fit straight into an EVO 8 without any hassle just a case of unbolting old ones and bolting new ones on.... plus they do a side mount option so you can have a side mount bucket with a slider on the standard mounting points.......

All my prayers have been answered!!!!!

Why dont uk suppliers know of such products??? Seems strange???

Cheers guys.....
Yes, the side mount brackets are really slick and well worth the $$$ and I have seen them work with other race buckets like Buddy Club. Anytime you can't find something in the UK you should PM me or post up and I can help you find it here. The Evo has only been in the US for 2 years but the availability of aftermarket parts is staggering. --John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Forgot to mention, I'm not sure how it is with the RS seats, but the USDM recaros have the seat belt latch attached to the seat not the floor board. So if you want to retain the stock seat belts, you'll need to remove it and re-attach it to the floor board or new seat somehow. Unless you are going to use a harness, which is what most people tend to do.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah seems were so far behind in some ways in the uk???

Thanks again mate......

Was looking at getting a removable harness fitted so should cure that prob.... thanks again.... I wonder if you could re-attach the seat belt holder to the new sliding base plates....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts