Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe been asked before but I'm struggling to find a definitive answer. What's the average thickness on the 8 for the paint? About to do a full paint correction with my rotary but obviously need to know thickness before starting. Any help is much appreciated

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No exact figures? I guessed it would be less than 1mm would just like to know what's left before I get the rotary on it. Cheers for the help anyway

·
MLR Oldie
14,954 Posts
Evo paint is notoriously thin.

From memory, I'm sure it's about 70-80 microns. (don't quote me on that though, I'm just trying to recall folk having measured it in the past. If using a rotary you'll need to tread carefully.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

From memory, I'm sure it's about 70-80 microns. (don't quote me on that though, I'm just trying to recall folk having measured it in the past. If using a rotary you'll need to tread carefully.
I have done an evo 7 French blue many years ago and I remember it was extremely difficult due to it being so soft from memory it took me around 7 whole days to complete. Thanks again for the information

·
MLR Oldie
14,954 Posts
Yes that's right they tend to be soft and usually single stage paint on most of them (i.e. no clear coat)

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My blue 7 had a clear coat but my red 8 doesn't unfortunately,stupid Mitsubishi!ha ha ha

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Don't forget that the paint thickness will comprise undercoat too, so whilst it will be less than 100 microns in places, the colour will be around half that!

No wool pads on these cars!

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
5,267 Posts
Evo paint is thin. It is wise to measure all panels (not in one place but all over) to see the paint thickness first. You will find that different panels will be different thickness. If the car has a laquer then measure the thickness of the paint inside a door as this does not normally have a laquer applied in this area. That way you can work out how much laquer you have before you cause "breakthrough". This is when the pad works through the laquer to the paint below.
I have found in the past that roof and boot panels are often thin, around 70 microns. Anything below this figure is not wise to polish or you risk going through the paint to the primer below.
It is common for doors or bonnet to be much thicker though often due to respray work done in the past.

As said above Red paint is very soft on Evo's so be very careful and don't use too harsh a polish.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to point out I used to work at Audi doing this as a job however the Germans are not shy with there paint! I appreciate the help and any further help is also welcome!

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
5,267 Posts
I forgot to point out I used to work at Audi doing this as a job however the Germans are not shy with there paint! I appreciate the help and any further help is also welcome!
German paint is far better :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
I was always advised to pretty much use a finishing pad and polish which would remove the majority of defects on an Evo. Never failed me yet anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts

Christ. They spray it on like dust if that's right.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Maybe been asked before but I'm struggling to find a definitive answer. What's the average thickness on the 8 for the paint? About to do a full paint correction with my rotary but obviously need to know thickness before starting. Any help is much appreciated
If you near sheffield I can do a test for you.. we have a calibrated tester which will give you a accurate answer

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you near sheffield I can do a test for you.. we have a calibrated tester which will give you a accurate answer
Unfortunately not I stay about 1 hour north of Aberdeen lol. I have already started the process now anyway so should be finished tomorrow evening with a bit of luck

Thanks for the offer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts