Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my starter with a new and car still just clicking once and not cranking, guessing fault may be with ignition switch, so im after a good ignition switch for my evo 8

·
Premium Member
22,019 Posts
Replaced my starter with a new and car still just clicking once and not cranking, guessing fault may be with ignition switch, so im after a good ignition switch for my evo 8
sounds more like flat battery, bad battery connection, bad earth, or immobiliser issue

Have you tried shorting the starter motor, will tell you if its something on the ignition side or not

Stu

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put a new starter in still same problem, gave battery a jump start and didnt change a thing sadly also sometime it will start up and now more frequently it doesnt start and just clicks once from starter motor

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
don't forget you also have a clutch switch on the pedal that is part of the starter circuit. I have seen something as simple as a carpet mat in the way or its been kicked/knocked out the way before.

you can test electrically all of these components when in a non start fault state though before just replacing them, in the long run this could save you money and time.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Listen to Stu's advice mate especially the bad earth suggestion.... If it was the ignition switch I wouldn't expect the starter to even be clicking as there would be no exciter wire feed...

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Listen to Stu's advice mate especially the bad earth suggestion.... If it was the ignition switch I wouldn't expect the starter to even be clicking as there would be no exciter wire feed...
FWIW when turning the ignition switch to start/ crank, with my immobiliser still active, I get a clicking noise. It sounds a lot like the starter solenoid, but isn't. I think it's a few relays from the position 1 on the ignition turning off.

I'm sure I read a thread a while back about someone with a similar fault and it turned out to be the switchpack in the back of the ignition switch being loose or faulty and it wouldn't always turn far enough to crank.

Is there nobody you know with some electrical skills that can help you out and test some of these parts? Shouldn't take more than an hour :smthumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts