Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any top tips on how to remove my front bumper off my 8 ??? or how to do it :blush:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The first time I removed my front bumper I just followed the front bumper removal and installation section of the Evo VIII workshop manual.

Probably the most useful tip is to be light handed with the screw driver when removing all of the plastics screw fittings that fix the under tray to the bumper. You'd probably be best jacking up the front of the car a little for easier access when doing this.

The front bumper is then fixed by bolts and clips on the top. Aswell as one bolt in either wheel arch and a couple of screws that hold the wheel arch cover.

The intercooler spray hose will need to be disconnected. Afterwhich you should be able to pull off the bumper. It may require a little force, so you can pop the clips that are still holding on the bumper.

Cheers

Mark

PS. I'm doing this from memory, so I may have missed a step.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
mikey p said:
would you say its a pain in the ass to do?
It's not difficult, it just a little time consuming removing all of the undertray fixings. Then spending
ages trying to find the one that you've lost when you put the bumper back on. :goingmad:

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have removed the bumper on my evo 8. Its looks difficult but is in fact easy. Take a good look at the bolts on the top and take them out 4 I think.

Remove two plastic screws and two bolts in wheel arch area There is one each side in the wheel arch. Bolt goes up in wheel arch area.

The time consumming bit is taking all the plastic screws out of the bottom. You need to remove the tow access guard. Best way to get the plastic screws out is to use a screw drive to part unscrew them then lever them out (do not press to hard when turning).

You need to take the number plate off. Only undo the two plastic screws that hold the plate on. Behind this you will see a bolt (similar to one on offside). Undo both near side and of side.

Look for the connection to the water injection system (near tank). This needs to disconnected to completely remove the bumper.

With all the screws/bolts out the bumper still feels stuck. Pull it down at /near the wheel arch. It should drop a bit. You should now see a locating lug. It will still feel stuck. The bumper sits on a couple of brackets (at the front), which is supporting it's weight. The brackets have a hole into which a lug fits. So you need to lift the bumper up a bit and pull it out forward at the same time.

If you must then make sure you have something soft under the bumper when you pull it off.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
923 Posts
done mine a few times. what donald wrote is spot on apart from the following.

dont bother removing all the plastic screws from the under cover. only remove those which fix to the front edge of the bumper. u do not need to remove the entire tray.

believe me it saves a load of time and messing around with the shittty plastic screws.

me being stupid only realised this once i had done the job 3 times lol

cheers
sean

·
Registered
838 Posts
mlr is so useful. found what i wanted in 5mins,

cheers guys!

jav ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts