Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi fellow evo owners, following on from this thread I started 2 years ago I have decided to tidy the car up, here is a Link to my thread just after I got the car.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=504543

Well shortly after this I lost my job due to loss of contracts and redundancies, this meant I lost the work van I had and used for personal use, I made the decision to sell the evo and get something cheap to use as a work horse, the evo must of sensed this and decided it didn't want to go! Literally a few hours after drafting up anfor sale add and going for a drive the clutch failed! Pulled the release bearing out and chewed the clutch, so I had a new clutch and flywheel fitted while this was happening I also had the gearbox pulled apart and inspected and refreshed, to me it had felt a bit loose before the clutch issue, anyways gearbox was refreshed clutch replaced and got the car back, all was good.

Things got a bit better with life as I'd found another job literally 10mims from my house, this meant the evo could stay as I could either bike in or bus or take the car, I did a mixture of all three. I then decided I wanted to go for a little more power from the car so got hold of a walbro pump a 3" turbo back hks exhaust system, hks air inlet and a mac three port, I paid bob and lee a visit at dyno tech for a remap and ended up with 367bhp can't remember my torque figure of hand but it was good, I was more than happy for a while!

Then over the preceding months things started to go wrong, fuel pump failed, fuel filler neck broke, wheels bearings failed, mot failed drop links bushes etc, coil packs dying, ac compressor pulley failing, acd failing, nails in tires, front splitter breaking thanks to a piece of pallet falling in the road, smashed windscreen after some twunt decided to lob an insulated coffee cup from a moving car in front of me, there is more but I've gone on enough lol, anyway this is the reason for the title "THE LEMON" lol.

I'm lucky in the sense I'm very handy with the spaners, I'm not a mechanic but a multi skilled maintenance technician so work on all types of plant, machinery etc plus I have built several cars over the years so doing the above work bar the box and clutch was an easy task for myself, I just simply couldn't be bothered to do the clutch and box haha.

Right fast forward to 2017 and two weeks ago the balance shaft belt snapped, I was extremely lucky in the fact it didn't touch the timing belt at all, this is first engine issue I'd had to date, a testimant to my regular servicing and bob and lees mapping skills I think, anyways I have decided to give the whole engine a refresh in the form of a rod job, I'll never want to go over 500-550 so a rod job will be more than sufficient for my needs.
While I'm at it I'm going to tidy the car up, most of the car is almost new lol due to the bits and bobs I've replaced over the last few years so it will just be a general tidy up and get back to looking how it should, this will include an underbody refresh, cleaning of parts, re under seal etc etc, a freshen up of the paint work, a real deep clean inside and a freshen up, and a tidy up and deep clean in the bay.

No pictures as of yet I'm afraid as I'm now about to get out and make a start on stripping the engine down etc, thought I'd make a little thread so I can keep track and anyone that's interested can follow progress.

Wish me luck people :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the head off this afternoon, those ****ing inlet manifold bolts are an absolute nightmare!!

Could someone offer an opinion on the condition of my bores please? To me they look good, still have honing marks on them, there is that little patch that looks slightly polished, as can be seen in the below pic, is this ok? There are no scratches or marks evident at all it all looks ok to me but would like another opinion.

Tomorrow I will drop the sump and remove the rods and pistons, I want them to be sent of to have the pistons machined to be able to fit the floating pins.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there any ridge at the top of the bore ?
also fully inspect pistons for wear or cracks
Hi War, no bud no ridges at all, nice and smooth all the way up bud, will check the pistons when get them out tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Few more hours spent today, got the sump of and removed the rods and pistons, again all looks good, the bores are nice all the way down, the crank looks good no marks overall I'm please with how it looks, just need to get the pistons sent of to Norris designs and get them machined and new rods fitted and I can begin to put the engine back together again

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure Norris will do the rods and pistons unless he's fitting them. But could be wrong.
He did say he would do them via pm if I sent them to him, all at my own risk obviously, I'm happy enough with the condition of everything, looking forward to getting it all done now :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't really had much to update recently as I've been so busy with work and life etc, waiting for bits to turn up and deciding what to do.

I've had a batch of parts arrive these include acl race bearings, arp head studs, oils new gaskets etc, I've decided to keep with an mr gasket as I won't be looking to ever go above 500bhp so the mr will be fine.
I've gotten myself and immaculate 80 series turbo that was overhauled by Owen developments, to go with this I also have a set of mr cams to replace the ****e stock 260 cams.
I should have the machined pistons and new rods from Norris developments very soon so can get them fitted.
I've cleaned up the head, re-lapped and cleaned up the valves and valve seats, cleaned the carbon and crap from the head exhaust outlet ports etc, I've also taken car of the rough casting marks on the inlet ports and polished them up, the head was checked and found to be straight and true so no need for a skim.
Few pics

Oe 260 turbo on the left new 80 series on the right

Have the bank holiday weekend free so can get a bit more done then.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have completely built the head back up today, MR cams are fitted and everything de-carboned and cleaned, just waiting for machined pistons and rods to arrive and I get get them fitted and the head bolted on.
Also refurbed my rear brake calipers, done the fronts a few months back the rears were looking terrible.

No pics I'm afraid as for some reason my I phone is playing up.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
5,271 Posts
Sounds like you've got yourself a bit of a project on the go now :smthumbup.... Keep the updates comming :thumbup:....Evo's do seem like money pits at times... But it's worth it :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:smthumbup Thanks guys :smthumbup

Couple of little updates.

Have sand blasted a few bits while I've had time.

The ac condenser bracket and the power steering pump bracket have been blasted back clean.

Removed the engine mount thingy underneath the front and blasted that back to bare, going to coat this and spray it black.

Started to port the oe exhaust manifold, needs a little bit more work but almost there.

Also decided I wanted to change wheel colour, I haven't decided on what colour yet but I think white is the one, rubbed down and repaired a couple of small kerb marks, primed and rubbed down a bit more then sprayed and rubbed down and sprayed and rubbed down and........yeah you know lol, I think the white look spot on, opinions? Excuse the cheap ****e tyres I had to get rid of the stretched ones on there and got offered these cheap as chips, hadn't planned on keeping these wheels for to long but the engine build kind of halted that idea hence the colour change :wallbang:

Away on a stag weekend so will be no progress this weekend but plan on removing arbs, front and rear arms, cradle etc next and getting them sand blasted and painted, I can't afford to powder coat, so will be painting and sealing, as long as I keep thing clean underneath regularly they should stay nice :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still not a massive amount to report on, tidying bits up as and when I have time, the rocker cover has been given the going over this time, chemically stripped the old paint, rubbed it back and sprayed with vht wrinkle red paint, it's still drying in this pic but it's wrinkled lovely.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spent Father's Day working on the car.

Got the rods and pistons fitted, eventually found the correct piston ring gap position lol.

Have got a full two days tomorrow and Tuesday so can get some more done, unfortunately I found the crank sensor trigger plate was bent up when the belt snapped, was hoping to get the head on tomorrow and the belts on, can't do this until I get the new plate, will order one from Ross sport tomorrow.

Have the unruly task of trying to crack the crank pulley bolt off tomorrow!

Was a hot one today 28degs luckily had a gazebo I popped up over the front of the car :0)

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Nice build bud, coming together :smthumbup
Fair play for nit throwing in the towel with all the niggles and problems you had. Will have been well worth it once it's up and running!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice build bud, coming together :smthumbup
Fair play for nit throwing in the towel with all the niggles and problems you had. Will have been well worth it once it's up and running!
Thanks bud, forgot to message you mate, received the injectors thank you chap your a star :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had my brothers wedding this week so not a lot of time to work on the car, spent today on it though and got a fair amount done.

Long block is all built up, timing belt on and timed up just everything to bolt back together and the millions of vacuum/water hoses to fit back on :wallbang:

Few pics, nothing major to see but it's getting there, I've cleaned up and sprayed the spark plug cover and upper cam cover in black wrinkle paint to match the rocker cover, really pleased with how this turned out, I was also trying to clean up the inlet manifold and make shiney but it just wasn't happening so this ended up getting painted black as well :lol:

Will eventually get a new cover as the back right bolt hole has broken, it will do for now though.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Few more hours spent today, got all vacume lines connected all sensors plugged in water/oils lines connected etc etc, just need to drop the sump and tidy it up and coat it, remove a poxy stud I managed to break in the turbo exhaust housing flange then it'll be ready to fill with fluids and turn the key :)

Stupid poxy snapped stud arrrrgh

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since Photobucket are complete thieving twunts I've lost all of my pics!!

Anyways here are a few of which I saved.

Finally the engine is fully built and has been fired up, a leaking injector seal saw that stopped within seconds though. I have some new ones delivered Friday via ross sport but unfortunately I have been very ill since Thursday, unsure what's going on but got to go back to docs and prob have tests, seems like a very nasty bout of flu, put it this way it's an effort for me to even post this.
Before I contracted man flu I fitted my rear spats and have refitted front bumper and splitter after killing my previous one, this is now my third!!! I spoke to a guy called Bash who owns a company that makes splitters, spats, arch extensions etc for evo's, very good quality and perfect fitting, I would highly recommend him, he has an eBay shop, I wasn't paying stupid amounts for carbon fibre when I live in the land of the speed bump!! Lol

Anyways few pics that I had in my phone prob seen these before to be honest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts