Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello EVO People.
Can anyone tell me exactly what the driving experience differencies are with a titanium or steel turbo. I seem to recall Steve Sutcliffe [ Autocar ] saying that the 7 went like stink but died at the top of the rev range with a steel turbo, and that your evo wasnt an evo without a titanium turbo. Is it really that noticeable? Then there is the theory that the steel turbo is the one to have if you are to tune the engine.I understand that the titanium turbo is quicker to spin up therefore reducing turbo lag, but is it better overall than a steel unit? Surely at the end of the day you wouldnt really notice the difference for fast road driving and the cars would feel just as quick whatever material your blower is made of? Youve got to understand that these questions keep you awake at night, and there is only a certain amount of times that you can count the repeat pattern of the wallpaper. Regards, SIMON.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The c##p that journos write is unbelievable. To say an Evo with a steel turbo is not a real Evo is about the biggest load of.....(climbs of soapbox:D) I doubt you can feel very much difference between them. I cannot understand why a car with a steel turbo would die at the top end and a titanium one not. The primary difference should be how fast it spools up.

IMO the theory about the steel turbo being the one to tune with was started by people who imported cars with steel turbos!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must have missed that in Autocar but Simon is right, treat anything journalists say with a big pinch of salt.
The theroy is sound, titanium is lighter so it should spin up quicker but if you think about it if it's lighter it will also have less momentum, it will be swings and roundabouts even with a decent dump valve.
I would like to say that there is a definite difference between the two types of turbo as I have had both on my E6 (currently have a titty one, inconnel on my old engine) but as there was a gap of at least a month between driving the two it was impossible to judge.
I have serious doubts if you would notice the difference in everyday driving, balls out 100% driving on a rally stage maybe a different story though.
At the end of the day it is just something else to brag about down the pub ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Simon / HeaveHo
Thanks for the replys. You have confirmed what i personally thought was the case, its just welcoming to be able to discuss these kind of matters with other owners that have a bit of nause and understanding about them,Regards, SIMON

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both me and a friend have evo7's,my friends has a titanium turbo mine has not.Having driven both i can not feel any difference infact mine is quicker as we found out while having a bit of fun on the motorway.

Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silver7

This doesn't suprise me. I think there are enough differences in performance due to design tolerance that you wouldn't be able to say it was because of the turbo difference. In addition, if one car had done over 5000 miles and the other a v. low milage, the higher milage car should be noticably faster.

Only way to tell would be to do back to back tests on the same car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the cars and drivers are both the same weight and the only difference is the turbo, then why would it be due to design tolerance, Simon?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why are some standard cars more powerful than others? Why do some produce better figures than others on RR's? Because they are mass produced! If you strip down an engine and blue print it, building it exactly to manufacturers spec and ballancing all components, you would get a measurable gain. I cannot imagine that an Evo engine differs from any other in this respect. Some engines are, by accident, better ballanced, have less casting flashes, cam pullies better alligned and the list goes on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MY SEVEN is STEEL. I was concerned initially hence an early misplaced judgement to think about selling it. The car revs throughout the REV range and as Shorty can justify is not short of grunt! :D

But, you always have the nagging doubt of what might have been! That's the EVO world I'm afraid!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.