Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

With the recent cold weather I hadn't used my 7 GT-A much and when going to reverse it off my drive yesterday both my front coils snapped leaving me with two flat tyres and £200 down on a pair of Michelin PS4s once I get the car back in the air.

The suspension towers and shocks are original and show it, so while I could just try and get new coils fitted / track down some rubber for them to sit in, I was thinking it would make more sense to change the lot. I already have a new pair of the rubber mounts for the tops so at least that's taken care of.

I saw Tein do a Street Basis Z kit, front and rear all in for £420 or so, with height adjustment which is more than I'll ever need for regular street driving and speedbumps (no track or similar) - does anyone have any thoughts on the likely success of this / other ideas I could do on the drive at home for a similar budget?

http://www.srbpower.com/products/tein-gsr52-8uss2-street-basis-z-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-vii-ct9a-gsr-rs-2001-2002-awd-2000cc.html

Many thanks,

Rich

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Hi Rich,

I had a set of the similar level Street Advance Z Teins on my Evo 5 after one of the OEM shocks started leaking and they were honestly terrible - poor ride quality and vague steering.

For that money, i'd recommend trying to find a good condition second hand set of Bilstein B6 or B8. If you can stretch it, it's £800-£900 for a new set. But i don't think you'll find a better set of suspension for what you are looking for, especially in the cheap coilover range.

There is a couple of threads about cheap coilovers and generally, they are cheap for a reason and usually a step back from OEM.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Bilsteins (B6) can be got for less than €400 for a pair for the front and less than €300 for the rear.

Top mounts can be got for around £150 and springs (Eibach) for about €160. Bumpstops for around £30.

Much better than cheap coilovers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts