Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Just for the record

Could all youre evo 7 owners tell about their standard brembo experiance (are they still ok or did they warp
what i like to know is:

1 how many miles did you drive?
2 what pads do you use?
3 did they warp on road or track?
4 what colour are the brembo calipers (bright red, dark red, brown, almost black)
5 what is youre next step (uprated discs or ap etc.)

Please answer these questions

thx in advance

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Andre

My Extreme has done 4500 miles. I have cross drilled disks but do not know if they are the original ones that have been cross drilled or whether they are a different spec. I suspect they are standard. I believe that I am running whatever pads come as standard. To date the disks have remained good. I have not had the car on the track. The calipers still look to be their original colour.

However, I really do not like the brakes at all. The pedal feel is rubbish and although they stop the car, I have no confidence to push the car to the limit on these brakes. This is why I will be fitting the AP kit as soon as money permits! I have driven cars with both ABS and no ABS with AP's and I can honestly say that this set up is the best I have come across on a road car. The non ABS is the more solid pedal but the ABS pedal might be a bit more suited to road use because the brakes do not grab quiete as quickly. Only a small difference but it is noticable.

I suspect that I have been very gentle on the brakes compared with some, because that is my driving style and also because of the lack of confidence in them. Cannot wait for the AP's!

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

I've done just under 5k miles in my Evo 7, and have experienced warping already. This is mainly noticed as vibration under braking, but is intermittent. For example, getting the car out, go down a fast dual carriageway and then brake hard to turn off will produce vibration. However, on a longer journey, the vibration seems to disappear.

The other week when I wasn't driving but my partner was, I noticed vibration when she had to pull up hard on the motorway. About 20mins. later when we came off the motorway and I asked her to brake hard on purpose, no vibration !

I can only put this down to the disc slowly coming up to a uniform temperature and then any warping disappears. The car has not been driven hard at all, since I can't drive it at the moment, and my other half is using. I know she's not using the brakes hard....I Hope !

Brake calipers seems just like new, bright red.....

If you want more info, let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Andre
My buddy's 7 has now done 5000 miles and he is on his second set of discs, which have just started to show simptoms of judder. He drives the car hard and is either going to follow me down the AP route or try replacement discs (the cheaper route) first.
Mine are just fine by the way!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
super L

do you own an evo 7 too?
do you drive track days?

the cheaper route is:

Centertecnofreno discs like maxi claudius use
or godspeeddiscs from uk

the expensive route is ap 6 pots with 332 x 32 grooved or drilled discs or Movit 4pot with 320x32 drilled discs
these two sets will fit the standard 17 inch wheel

if you only use 18 inch

you can go to ap 6 pots with 362x32 discs

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
SuperL

You mean to say you haven't warped your disks yet. ;) How are you finding the pedal? As good as you hoped?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Andre / Simon
I have sold my old campaigner and now have a 7 and I do intend to do the odd track day (Work permitting - Honest Blade!!). I went straight for the AP 362 with Continuous Groove discs, AP 6 pot/4 pot calipers with braided hoses and SRF racing fluid and am toying with the idea of getting some bespoke oversized air ducts too. I am not being ingenious, just slip-streaming Blade who's trouble-free brakes after 100|PLS| hard laps of Donnington speak for themselves.
The pedal feel is great but I have not driven the car hard yet so I'll keep you posted - Don't expect any problems though.
Bite the bullet Simon, you know it makes sense!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Most of you guys talk about how incredable the ap brakes are but you can get the same braking power with the standard system if you wish

just put in ferodo ds3000 plus frict coef of 0.68 for circuit use it brakes just as hard as any six pots with normal pads
you can lock up the wheels at any speed even above 200 km an hour just crazy

the only downside is youre discs wear out pretty fast:(
thats why you better can go to ap 6 pots and put ferodo ds2500 street/circuit use pads into the system and it brakes just as hard as the standard system with ferodo 3000

but you are crazy if you put these pads into an ap 6 pot set because a set new ap discs cost more than a set standard discs.

advantage

you won t be changing pads for street and circuit
you won t be changing discs because of wear
and 99% sure yourew ap discs don t warp

P.S. in the clio cup they use standard calliper and standard discs they put in ds3000 the only thing that stops you faster is a brick wall:)
80% of all the WRC cars run on ferodo 3000

i have tested these

carbon metallic 97
pagid rs 14
ferodo ds3000

not tested yet is ferodo ds3000 plus

all i can say that the winner is ds3000 compound
man this brakes hard the discs are glowing red:)
and they keep on grabbing even when red.

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
blade

i have tried rs 4-2 blue

this pads doesn t come close to the performance of ds3000 believe me
but don t use the ds3000 on expensive discs they wear out to fast stay with pagid they are ok

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Advevo

Sorry, cannot agree! The pedal feel is very different with the AP set up. It gives you much more confidence. You may be able to get the same braking performance by changing the pads, but you will destroy the disks. If you use upgraded pads in the AP set up you will gain even more.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
the pedal feel of the ap s are better but do you know why

i do
because they have mounted springs behind the pistons
so you have no problems with knock back of the pistons you also can get springs for the brembo caliper to get the same feeling.

you can put better pads into the ap system
you wil gain even more but why gain more if you can lock up the wheels with a speed of 200 km with ap 6pot and ferodo 2500 why go to ds3000 and destroy the expensive ap discs

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Andre

I agree with the fact it is pointless using the other pads in the AP set up.

I was unaware that you could get the springs for the Brembos. That sounds particularly interesting as one of the issues I have is the ability to get on the brakes quickly enough. That might solve it. Now all I have to find is where to get them from!

Many thanks

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
try coordsport/ralliart for the springs
or maybe BTR or an other rally prep company most of these guys use them in rally

regards

andre

1 - 15 of 15 Posts