Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm told all new E7's from Jan 2002 will be GTA spec with on-wheel tiptronic gearchange. Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know any details ? not about tiptronic (I understand that in principle), but about the Mitsi system : will it hold together, be reliable, and what's the car like to drive ?

Any responses are welcome, I'm trying to gather info before buying one !!

Anyone got a car I can look at ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
redfiver
First, there have been no announcements about the model range for 2002. The GTA, which is already out in Japan and the first ones in the UK are due soon, is not seen as a E and amp; replacement. The GTA has much less power and is really trying to ride on the Evo story while giving a much watered down experience which will appeal to the masses. As for reliability, only time will tell. Its too soon to say but it will be helped by not having to handle the Evo's power. If you are after the Evo experience, forget the GTA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having just read the AutoExpress report on the GTA, they state that the power is only down a little on the E7. This seems in conflict with what I read on Japanese sites so what I have said above might not be correct for UK GTA's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whilst it might not have the same bhp it still has ayc and acd and will still leave most things on a bendy road

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GTA is still a very fast road car, bhp around 270 and has a slighty smaller propellor housing to give more mid range power and does not pull as hard high up the rev range.

The tip tronic on the steering wheel is very fast acting, and great fun.
Transmission is the same as VR4 galant, with slight mods to the programing.

Still quick off the line and great fun on the road.
Interior is different along with rear spolier, but there is an option in japan for Recaro trim and high level spolier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simon

Have you driven the Gta and do you know if ccc are bringing some into the country?

Have I spoken to you on the phone?

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm is this mitsu starting to go down the scoobie route with loads of evo type variants?

hmm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tony

Yes, I have driven the GTA, CCC have bought one into the country.
It's the featured in autocar.

You may have spoken to me, but i'm not sure.
Don't like to give to many secrets out as you only get beat up.

But you do know who I am.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VII SIN

I am sorry to read your comments Don't like to give to many secrets out as you only get beat up. I have my suspisions as to why you feel that way and who you might be. Let me assure you that so long as I am a moderator, nobody will get unjustly beaten up. I hope you feel that you can say more and if you have any issues from doing so, please feel free to mail me.

Regards

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Simon7
I would suggest you have guessed right.
We have have just got the one GTA on the press fleet as we wanted to be the first to bring one into the UK and get it featured.
They are only built for japanese market, no decision has been made yet to weather we are taking them or not, I guess it will depend on the feed back from the press and the public.

If I have time I will let you know the differances in more detail.

Not as quick as the EVO but still very quick and good fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VII SIN

Not as quick as the EVO but still very quick

Well, most people here think that the standard Evo is too slow so the GTA must be REALLY slow ;)

But on a serious note, many people modify their Evos and I am sure we will see the same with the GTA. Unofficially and off the record, how do you see the gearbox handling more power. I would have thought that this might be a problem if they pushed the power up significantly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you know what I meant about being nearly as fast.

The transmission has been very reliable in the VR4.
And in my estimation it should cope with 350bhp quite easily or even 400bhp with frequent oil changes, but that would depend on the amount of torque to.
This is not officail, but a good estimate.

Cost is around 1500 more than the RSII (ESTIMATED), but should come with leather of the customers choice.
Officail vehicles will be launched at around Autum time (ESTIMATED).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The GTA seems to be a result of Mitsubishi engineering the Evo for the U.S. market. The tiptronic will appeal to those who can't drive a stick and not everyone wants a big wing I guess. I personally don't like the idea of thsi car being called an Evolution. They should have just called it a Lancer GTA. It is almost the same concept as the 1.8 Lancer GSRs anyway (do they still make them?).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We do get a lot of requests for an auto or tiptronic, It does'nt seem to harm Porsche or ferrari to much!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there a picture or some more info on the GTA somewhere on the web?

Thanks

Fedja
ps. this definitely sounds like the possible US version of the EVO, so it would be nice to see what we could get over here... :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EVO SIN

Frequent oil changes - does this mean a constant supply of new oil? I thought 4,500 miles was extreme! Are you advocating more? If so, then what's wrong with Mitsubishi engineering to warrant so frequent servicing - very disappointing. Once bitten - twice shy - wish that was true - second EVO and stupid!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think anyone was talking about harming anyones image or sales. A small winged, automatic leather seated Evo will sell many more units in the U.S. than versions we are used to. I was only saying that an Evolution with an automatic (which I am guessing the Mitsu. transmission basically is -like the Porsche tiptronic) and leather seats, doesn't fit my personal idea of what an Evolution is. If you dream of an Evo with Wilton carpets etc. that's your business. If I could buy a Porsche I wouldn't be getting a tiptronic either. Maybe I would consider the Ferrari as it actually uses a proper clutch (if I am not mistaken).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gearbox oil changes at around 9000 miles if you use them hard on tracks etc.
This oil is only avalible from duckhams and lincol oils.
Quite rare stuff.
10 min job, if you have the oil.

There will be a new service schedule out soon for EVO 6-7 which will state changes for hard driven vehicles.
You may be happy, you may be not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts