Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a quick how-to for removing the rear seat on an Evo 7-9. The process was carried out on my Evo 8.

Search terms: How to howto remove removing evo 7 8 9 vii viii ix rear back seat seats guide

Step 1 - Remove the bench.
Feel around under the front edge of the rear seat. There are two little pull tabs approx where indicated. Pull these then the front edge and be lifted and the seat removed. (Recommend opening both doors to make it easier to slip from under the backrest.)

You can see the tabs you were aiming for circled.

Step 2 - Undo the 3 bolts holding the backrest
Undo the three bolts pictured. Note that you do not need to disturb the big bolts holding the seatbelts at all. Once the bolts are undone DO NOT PULL THE BOTTOM FORWARDS. IT GOES UPWARDS.

Step 3 - Lift the entire backrest upwards
It must go straight up to unhook the three metal loops on the backrest from the three metal hooks on the parcel shelf.

That's it. Hope this was useful. Cheers.

MAD7BOY
PS - If you're interested in removing the parcel shelf, then check out THIS THREAD.

List of my guides:
1 - Fitting Sidelights
2 - Rear Seats Removal
3 - Parcel Shelf Removal
4 - Fitting Harnesses (Not published yet)
5 - Bolt-in Parcel Shelf Camera
6 - Intercooler water spray bottle removal and replacement with cold air feed

·
Registered
10 Posts
of course, the trickier part is getting it back in. I know it took me several frustrating attempts before I got it figured out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
thx for fixing the photos :) anybody know how to remove the middle armrest with the cupholders in ??? it wobbles all over the place, but i can;t see any bolts on the back of the rear seat to tighten ?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Only for operation. If its not there there is nothing to check. I will post up on the MOTester forum to find out for sure. Good call though, not something I'd even considered to be honest.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only for operation. If its not there there is nothing to check. I will post up on the MOTester forum to find out for sure. Good call though, not something I'd even considered to be honest.
I think that if there's a seat then there needs to be a belt. :handsup:

Do let us know once you have the definitive answer though. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mad7Boy do you know how to tighten or remove the drop down middle arm rest ?? i have asked on the forum but nobody seems to know the answer. thanks Andy

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Andy. I think I've seen your other posts about removing the arm rest, yours is loose if I recall correctly? I'm afraid that removing the centre arm rest is not something I've tried to do before, so no I don't know how to do it. Sorry. Do post up if you manage to find out in future.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
I think that if there's a seat then there needs to be a belt. :handsup:

Do let us know once you have the definitive answer though. :)
If its not fitted its not tested so feel free to remove it , i removed mine and only my last car but obviously you can never take a fifth passenger

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Had some answers from the MOTester forum:

If tested properly it would not fail, but unfortunately some testers do seem to have some confusion in this area
but would be subject to a pass and advise
You might want to advise only 4 seat belts fitted at time of test from a 'cover your a**e' point of view, but since there is no requirement for the belt to be fitted for MOT, advisory is not actually needed. It's not an MOT offence to remove it.
SO its settled... it will be coming out at the weekend :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts