Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first evo in July, it was a replacement for my money pit R34 (obvious choice to replace a money pit with an evo :rotz: )

A nice standard-ish 5 that had just been imported. Had the usual exhaust, induction kit etc. It was going to be a last ditch effort to build a 500bhp car before I have to grow up and buy a house and forget about having decent cars for a few years.

The plan was to take the car off the road this month and build it up over the winter BUT I seen a nice looking 7 pop up an hour from me and ended up going a deal. So big change of plan but same end goal.

Really happy with how it looks and won't be changing anything but mechanically it needs a lot of work.

Previous owner had his own garage and to be honest I'd be embarrassed if I'd done half of the stuff I've noticed so far and I'm not a mechanic. Just stupid stuff that you wouldn't do, missing wheel nuts, missing nuts and bolts everywhere, things hanging off, dodgy aftermarket fuel gauge, an absolute shocking smell of fuel inside the car that's unbearable, fan belt squeeling like nothing I've heard before. On top of a large list of jobs I knew needed finished.

Anyway the project will still be going ahead over winter. So far I've got hold of;

- s205b turbo and jmf manifold
- 2.3 Arrow crank and rods
- 2.3 wiseco pistons
- New oil pump
- Stage 4 competition clutch
- Cosworth head studs
- Spare block and head from an evo 8

A few bonus parts that came on the 7 that has shortened the list of stuff I need, came with a massive intercooler, cop kit, some HKS cam gears and a bigger rad.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Looks like a nice 7 you have there..good luck with the build..have a search on here or Google but I'm sure they are the old HKS cam gears with teeth that used to wear away..I may be mistaken!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a nice 7 you have there..good luck with the build..have a search on here or Google but I'm sure they are the old HKS cam gears with teeth that used to wear away..I may be mistaken!
Cheers, yep I'm sure I've seen somewhere the old Hks ones like to shred belts as well. Probably best not using them, not worth mashing the engine up if I shred a belt :lol:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bit of an update, got really frustrated with the car a few weeks back when it wouldn't start. The idiots I bought the car from had made an absolute mess of fitting an alarm and the car wouldn't start, then when I did get it started it wouldn't turn off. That on top of the already massive list of issues caused me to put the engine and turbo up for sale. I've calmed down a bit now so think I'll crack on with it and just take my time.

Everyone seems to be doing this now and I've decided to join in, I've started a full underbody restoration. Starting at the back end, so far got all the arms off and ready to drop the subframe and fuel tank. I was toying with polishing the arms up but decided to paint instead. Theres a light sand blasting machine at work which is ideal for the alloy, blasted the first one today and turned out well so hoping to have the rest done during the week.

The chassis rails are in good shape but there's a patch needed on the floor pan and a hole appeared inside the fuel cap. Going for a full strip back to metal, rust bullet then French blue on top. The cowboys before me had butchered the inner arches and left them open then filled the gap between the wide arches and the car with builders foam, so will need to make up something for that. Will get some pictures tomorrow, feel sorry for anyone who takes their car to that garage.

Going to be painting the arms silver then subframe/ diff and any other bits black, any recommendations on which paint to use? A rattle can that would be durable enough would be ideal but can get hold of a spray gun if needed

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And a few pictures of the engine build so far, ordered some parts from tegiwa before Christmas and they still haven't turned up :goingmad: engine will be sent to the builder when they arrive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts