Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I now seem to have totally caught the Track Day bug, I would appreciete any comments on the following:

1) I definitely want a set of spare slicks for the car, so which are the ones to go for

2) I will need a spare set of rims, therefore it would be a good oportunity to switch them for the 18 rims.

3) Does switching to 18 rims cause any know problems - especially with speedo readings, and do the Apexi's all have to be re-configured.

4) Best size of road tyre to go with 18 rims? (don't worry about make - i'll read the other thread on that!)

5) If adjustments need to be made with 18 wheels - I would assume then that I would then have to get 18 rims for slicks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:EVO 7 - 18

1) I would go with road legal slicks. Proper slicks are not progressive, and the break-away is too quick for most drivers. If it rains, you are also screwed! It is very difficult to take a set of wheels with you, so go for Dunlop Performance-R, Pirelli P-Zero Corsa or Michelin Pilot Sports Cup. The latter two are impossible to get hold of. I use the Dunlops - amazing grip, low cost, very good wear rate - and ok in the wet too (just avoid standing water).Proper motorsport tyres are not street legal, and there are so many compounds to choose from, you may find yourself with the wrong set on a track day (|EQU|misery!) The Dunlops are the best compromise - provided you get sufficient heat in them and monitor tyre pressures and temperatures, you will get awesome performance. Real slicks also come in funny metric sizes.

2) Go for the lightest rims. I got BBS CH Motorsport wheels, but there are loads to choose from. THe lighter weight pays dividends on the track - each 1kg less of unsprung weight feels like 8kg less at the steering wheel!

3) No problem with 18 s provided they have the right offset and right tyres. Even with my massive 60mm struts - still no probs.

4) 235/40 is the best size as that keeps the rolling radius the same. 245/35 is possible, but it depends on camber angles (you could foul the strut). My RS steering rack is limited being linear, so there may be more issues with the GSR's rack as the wheels turn more (may need a steering rack limiter).

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Tony,

How do you find your Dunlops wear on the track compared to the normal road tyres most people use?

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Surprisingly, much better than normal road tyres.

This set of Dunlops has done two track days, both open pit, both at turbo-nutter-******* speeds. This included driving to and from the tracks (one being Croft, the other Bruntingthorpe). Loads of wear left. Off to Donnington next week. Hope to get another 2 track days out of them, all open pit. All in all that will be something close to 1500 miles of which about 800 will have been on track. Pretty good I think.

In comparison:-

1) Toyo Proxes T1-S - lasted one track day! Lots 3 tyres in one day (only 1.5 hours on track)
2) Bridgestone S01 - original tyres, not bad really, managed 3 track days, none of which were particularly taxing, and 4000 miles all-in-all.
3) Yokohama intermediates - **** (Shorty, remember these????) Lost them in one morning at Wroughton.

I am SO happy with the Dunlops - and they are cheap cheap too. One thing I do is rotate them, front rear, and diagonally (means getting them refitted) - this extends the life, and evens out the wear.

I will keep a diary with the next set I put on to monitor wear/mileage and rotation accurately - but I would say they are bloody good.

And the grip - oh sweet jesus. I always felt that the EVO felt a bit loose on the track, particularly at the rear. This feels totally planted, glued to the road. Pulling nearly 1.3gs on corners at Croft, and that wasn't really pushing it. Combination of things of course, but the tyres make a huge difference. Massive improvement to braking too.

Nice :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Blade

Excellent, and informative as usual.

Will get this lot sorted for next year, am looking at the idea of taking a mini trailer/box with me, which I thought could be useful, unless the MLR could arrange a CLUB VAN to carry everyone's spare tyres, brakes and fitting gear.....but organising and paying for something like that may be a problem!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

One thing I forgot to mention, a potential problem!

I may be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that there are only 2 available 18 rims available for the EVO 7, and both are expensive (one by Ralliart and one available through Warrender (think they are OZ - but blank ones), ralliart I believe are the lightest)

So I suppose I could still go for a Track Day set of tyres and rims seperately - but only 17 and not 18 - and take them seperately up with me - I'm sure that they would all fit on the back seat - would they not?

If the latter is the solution, would tyre/rim recomendation change?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Rich_R,

Dunlops from http://www.tyresblackpool.co.uk, though you can go to Dunlop direct too (they usually advertise in the back of Motorsport News).

AntsEvo - you are worrying me a bit! Towbar? No - I don't think you will get one on, and if you do, that's alot of extra weight in the wrong place! I am sure you can get BBS to fit the 7 (give PE a ring and talk to David Power). 18 would be better than 17 on a track, less tyre wall movement - although the rigidity of the walls on the Dunlops are amazing.

I would not take a second set up with me. I doubt you would squeeze them in the car, but even if you did, there is every chance they would get nicked at the circuit (you can't watch them if you are driving) and if it was a long distance, and you stayed overnight, the sight of the wheels in the car might be a little tempting to thieves! You can get 2 in the back, 1 in the boot, but do you want to soil your interior with dirty wheels??

Trust me - the Dunlops are perfect for the road too. I drove 4 hours, 300 miles to Croft in torrential rain - no problem. It was damp at Croft - no problem. They just need to get hot, so take it easy first few laps, get the temperatures up and go for it. You need to do this with normal tyres anyway (to stop them tearing tread blocks off), it is just more important with track tyres because they don't grip as much when cold.

I have been in this situation too - in the end I sold my 17 s, and just said #### it - 18 s with DUnlops, and I have never looked back.

The look mad too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Tow Bar.....OK sorry, mad moment!! Won't do that!!

Looks like the best option is what you said Blade, and I think that's exacly what I'll do, I'll check on that 18 fitting business.

Thanks once again everyone - I could have made a stupid and expensive mistake there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yokohama a032r or a038r are very good and avaible in different comp.
You can fit the oz superleggera to the evo vii they are light and cheaper than the extreme team dynamics or than magnesium wheels.
Graham goode will have them for the evo vi without the 3mm spacer.

For the evo vi, the best size is 225/40 18.
If you really want more grip you can also fit 235/40 18 or 235/35 18.
The JUN uses 245 tyres but it has more than 500bhp, and in a standard evo they would touch the chassis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Maxi, bear in mind that my car has been lowered...are there going to be any clearence problems that you know of?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

In 245 yes, on the 6 that is. Dont know about the 7.

The OZ Superleggera fit straight onto the 7 and cost around GBP 1,000 with tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Sorry, just before I depart from all that money in my wallet, can I just confirm, that new wheels are available, and that what Autocar reported is now outdated........
they said........

The new wheels boost the visual muscle even further. BBS alloy wheels measureing 8.5x18 replace the standard items. That they look spot on is down to luck rather than good judgement because the chunky Brembo calipers carried over from the normal Evo wouldn't fit behind any other rim. The ventilated disc diameter is unchanged at 332mm, but cooling is helped by additional cross-drilling and grooves. The rears are unaltered.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I suggest you go for the superleggeras as they are light but good price.
Do you have a vii? If you have a vi get 225 and if you have a vii get 235.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yes I do have a 7, thats why I need to make sure that they fit - hence my previous reply - I'm still no closer to the answer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

ive run cut slicks on the road,many years ago, just get a hot knife to the not for highway use
lots road noise,needed racing tubes as they had porous sidewalls
but grip !
lots of grip !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

OK you lot. Whats wrong with a tow bar on an Evo? I have a removable one on my Extreme! Suspect that I have the fastest towing vehicle on the road, unless you know better. :D

BTW its not for a caravan ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

get compomotive MO et35 8x18 they fit for sure put on 235/40/18 tires and youre a happy man

8.5 j x18 is to wide
i rather have 8 jx18 a 235 tire fits perfectly on 8 j rimm evo 7
a 225 fits perfect on 7.5 j evo 6

i am happy too:)

andre

1 - 20 of 50 Posts