Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my evo 6 has been great for over a year now, nearly two, but the other morning it decided not to start just turn over at a constant rate. A few Google's and I an electrical noise from the bulk head which led me to the fuel pump relay, replaced that and now it goes in cycles of 3?! Admittedly I did buy a second hand relay and should probably start with a new one but I swear it is making a different sound when I try to start it.
I have checked for codes, kinda hoping for something, but nothing. Does the cam position sensor always throw a code up when it's knackered?
I checked the voltage at the fuel pump plug and got 6.25v and nothing from the middle pin so maybe that points to the relay and I should maybe just get a new one from rosssport?!
Any help, please?!:wallbang:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Firstly any alarm immobiliser?

Theres 2 fuel pump relays the main one is behind dash and the one that controls fuel pump voltage is on bulkhead, 6.25 v sounds low tbh. It may be something simple but you should find a schematic of fuel pump wiring and check the circuits with a voltmeter and confirm they are ok.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly any alarm immobiliser?

Theres 2 fuel pump relays the main one is behind dash and the one that controls fuel pump voltage is on bulkhead, 6.25 v sounds low tbh. It may be something simple but you should find a schematic of fuel pump wiring and check the circuits with a voltmeter and confirm they are ok.
As far as I am aware the second interior relay only comes into play at full boost or higher up the revs.
I assumed the voltage I was getting at the fuel pump plug was for the sender unit so nothing for the pump.
I do have an alarm/immobilizer but I just really hope it's not that cause I don't know where to start with that!?

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Doesn't the pump only run when cranking/ receiving a pulse from the CPS?

The relay under the bonnet switches in a resistor to reduce pump voltage, therefore output, for economy. Played merry hell when I was on HKS F-Con! :lol:

Find a decent ground/ shiny bolt and see if you get 12 volts rather than only 6.

Just to eliminate the 'obvious', have you tried another battery/ jumped it?

·
Registered
711 Posts
As far as i know, fuel pump should be 8-9 volts normally and 12-14 when on boost as the relay switches on bulkhead to bypass resistor and give full voltage, i would check immobiliser or bypass it temporarily as a start to get that potential fault out of the loop.

A temporary wire from battery positive to fuel pump positive black with blue stripe i think but double check it, should bypass any problem with fuel pump wiring so no need to disconnect alarm.

After that you can check spark incase coils are faulty or plugs fouled also crank sensor would stop it from starting not sure if it shows a fault code.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
1st job is scan it, if nothing comes up, back to basics and check for good fuel pressure at the rail and a good spark. Are the camshafts turning when you wind it over?

·
Premium Member
16,915 Posts
My old Evo5 cam sensor failed and no codes, had been intermittent for awhile before finally giving up the ghost as well, changed sensor and always carried a spare after that!...if you dont know when it last had one i would change it anyhows.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update.
I threw in the towel and upgraded my AA and got them to take it away.
After much testing of the fuel pump, cam position sensor, crank sensor, injectors and back to the fuel pump. The fuel pump was pulsing but now spinning.
It would seem the walbro 255 [email protected] it's self presumably common with them?
Cheers for all the help!

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Cheers for the update. I don't believe failure to be un-common.

Best give Fuel Performance a shout for a decent replacement! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts