Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all been a while since I’ve posted on here due to the evo been sat in the garage but time to get back on it, the speedo sometimes works sometimes doesn’t some flickers the usual problems I’ve come across whilst reading various threads,

had an issue with the Speedo since I brought the car, after various testing and trying different converter etc today I took the speedo drive out the gearbox and taped it to my drill on low, speedo works perfect, no flickering, constant even whilst move wiring etc,

my question is, what can be the issue in the gearbox

any help appreciated,

regards
Liquid Product Fluid Plastic bottle Bottle
Motor vehicle Light Hood Blue Automotive fuel system
Wood Automotive tire Auto part Fashion accessory Flashlight

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had a look further i take it this isn’t supposed to spin freely?

Gas Auto part Close-up Metal Pipe

I think that runs the speed sensor and shouldn’t spin freely causing the issues

·
Registered
799 Posts
In my experience my speedo did a similar thing on my Evo IX. Sometimes it would work. And then it would stop and then start working again. Very intermittent. Turned out it be the kmh to mph converter found in the engine bay. AP tuning in Norwich fixed mine. They removed the converter and hardwired some kind of bypass,( electrical wizardry , way over my head!) Gary removed the dashboard instrument cluster and performed his magic. Not had an issue since.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Gav, I think I’ve ruled out electrical becuase I had the sensor taped to my drill and could get a constant 18mph,

the sensor on the 9 is a hall type sensor(I think) and on the 6 there’s a cog which runs off a cog in the box,

I just need to confirm that the cog shouldn’t spin separately in the box then I know I’ve got a nice little job to do over the winter lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts