Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on option to take:

I recieved a new UK 6 TME in dec 01 apparently the last of the official UK cars. Following delivery I noticed some corrosion in the engine bay, boot lid and the brake disks. It is also still mostly covered in shipping wax as no amount of polishing will make it shine. It has obviously spent too much time at the docks. The dealer has taken photos of all the issues and sent them off to the relvant people and yesterday I recieved the proposed action.

They want to remove the entire contents of the engine bay at a bodyshop in order to completely respray the bay !! I replied that I felt this was not acceptable on a brand new car but of course they cannot give me a replacement car as they say there are none left?

My options are:
1. Accept their proposals for repair and end up with a engine removed and replaced by a local dealer technician and a repainted engine bay which no matter how good its done will look like I've had a front ender.
2. Have all my money back
3. Take an option on the new VII at no extra cost.

As you can guess I'm severely ####ed off as I purposely bought the 6 when I heard there was only a few left because I don't like the styling of the 7. I know the best financial option is probably to take the new 7 but no matter how long I look at it, it doesnt look any better.

What would you do?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Get them to buy you a second hand EVO6 with very low miles, say around 2000 (if you can find one).. And make up the difference in cash.. Then you get a nearly new car and have some cash to upgrade it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd agree with Djack, if it were me I'd get the cash back and go buy one elsewhere, save cash and spend it on mods

If you prefer the 6 to the 7 go buy a 6 although I'm sure you will be very happy with the 7 anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasa, I would either take the 7 and sell it immediately to a private buyer or I would have my money back on the Evo 6 as it sounds that the issue will always niggle with you, and rightly so.

I would make my choice between the two choices above based on what one would leave you with the most cash. In saying that, the option of then selling the 7 is extra hassle so deduct £500 for that option.

Hope everything is resolved satisfactorily for you. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to say, I would then buy myself a nice, slightly used Evo 6 and treat myself to a holiday with the change. Every cloud has a silver lining or sommat. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be perfectly honest I think you are totally over-reacting. My TME is now about 4 months old and there are little blemishes and rust spots all over the place but it really doesn't worry me at all (these are all the more obvious because the car is white)
At the end of the day you get what you pay for... I paid £28k for my car brand new and taking into account the performance |PLS| all it's over good bits I really won't be wasting any sleep over a few rust spots and a bit of over-spray. If the car had cost £100k then I might be concerned.

I would rather have a brand new car with a few blemishes anyday over a second hand car that could of been to hell and back.

Incidently take a look at your alarm installation certificate. On that you should see an 'install' date and this might give you some idea of how long your car had been sitting at the docks (because they are installed in this country). Mine had been sitting down there for at least 9 months.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My TME is now about 4 months old and there are little blemishes and rust spots all over the place but it really doesn't worry me at all

You spent £28k on a modern car and are not worried about rust spots !? Are you serious? What a pile of crap to be rusting, even only slightly, after 4 months (sorry ... but I just can't believe it).

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the end of the day you get what you pay for
Exactly! ....... Wasa bought a brand new car, brand new cars are supposed to be unmarked in anyway at all.Thats why you buy brand new! All he`s after is what he`s paid for, whats so wrong with that?

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Droid: Maybe we just have different expectations? People are always saying that the paint on these cars isn't up to much anyway. Maybe the problem is that I have had two Lotus cars in the past few years and poor quality is part of the bargain. You just kinda get to accept it I guess.

RichiW: It's the same with so many things. I spent about £1500 on a TV for the bedroom a few months ago and it had a fault with the tube so I got it replaced. The replacment had a problem with the sound but this thing is just too darned big and heavy to keep messing about with so in the end I decided to tuen the volume down to zero and spend an extra £400 on a little amp and amp; surround speaker set-up and it's fine now. Shoddy build and sub-standard products are part of daily life.

Heck I'm even on my third Gameboy Advance now because my previous two have broken!

I just tend not to worry about stuff like this anymore. Life is too short. Just enjoy the product, whatever it is, for what it is and be happy :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Wasa,I have a new TME REd,whats your colour? I have asked my Ralliart Dealer in Ware to ring around if something suitable comes up I will E-Mail you,they give very good deals and their cars are crisp and rust free.:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brown, you have more money than sense :)

wasa, get the car changed as its always gonna #### you off. I got a second hand tme with 3500 miles on it. You could tell it had never been driven hard as the brake disks were virtually un worn - apparently it was someones 3rd car.

Having said all that my tme is now 13 months old and it has a few rust spots (for example centre front engine member, around boot rubber etc). paint quality does not seem great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arundale`s at York had a white unregistered TME in just before christmas.( they wanted over £30k for it though http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >)

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is white so unfortunately shows the probs. Latest is that I've asked the dealer to take the car in and get the shipping wax off for starters to at least prove it is capable of shinning before I make any further decisions. I still feel that stripping the engine bay is drastic as the rust looks fairly accessable to me. I was told by CCC that mine was the last unregistered car available imported by them (unless that was BS), so should I assume the reports of unregistered TME's posted would refer to 'unofficial' imports?

Brown: I dont have an alarm installation cert in my pack, just the alarm user manual. For ref mine is TME 051 delivered Dec01.

InsBro: Do you have details of the dealer in Top Marques?

thanks

Wasa

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is correct there are no more available TME left in free stock, however some dealers may have bought cars for themselves and not registered them yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Brown Paper Bag

Sorry, but I really cannot follow your argumentation. I bought my EVO for round about 32000 pounds here in Austria. I have also an Audi S3, which was 7000 pounds cheaper. The quality of the Audi is absolutely great. My S3 is chippdd, Filter, Exhaust, BOV and has 276 bhp and 420 Nm of torque. It goes nearly as good as my standard TME. Sure, the handling is not as perfect, but still excellent. Nevertheless, all in all, the Audi is the better car in my opinion. All the little details are of much higher quality, everything feels massive and solid. No noises, nothing rattles etc. The EVO in contrary is in my view of poor quality if you consider the interior materials they used, the painting or the quality of the exhaust which looks after 10 monthe like it would be 20 years old, completely corroded(is this the verb for corrosion?).

The question is, if a car, having only the advantage of a strong engine which is easy to upgrade and a good handling is worth the money of a german luxury car...

In the UK and in Japan, there are many people who obviously look for great performance for a small budget, LIKE I DO, and accept really poor quality compared to german manufacturers, WHICH I DON´T DO!!

I think that for 32000 pounds I can expect a car which is not 1/4 of the year at the local garage and has every week another annoying problem.

If you say, you accept small value for much money, you are the consumer about every company is dreaming...I am happy that not everyone is like that, otherwise we wouldn´t have much evolved during the last century if consumers were not always challenging manufacturers to do it better, and better, and better...

Don´t misunderstand me. I love my EVO, but sometimes I hate him. And isn´t love often very close to hate...? The love comes from the passionate and emotional side of my brain, the hate from the rational and objective side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
evolx,

pschology on the mlr ..... wow steady, you'll have us all blowin' fuses in our teany tiny alcohol soaked brains that find it difficult to elevate out of petrolhead-dom. Or is that just me? ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wasa

The Un-reg TME is at a Ralliart dealer in Yorkshire and is a UK car.

Mitsubishi dropped retail price by £5000 in august last year hence £27995.

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wasa...

I got my white TME #008 in Dec 01 too, I have also got the same problems with rust. I have booked it in to a dealer in Feb to get the E/bay resprayed as the way I C it the the Japs do such a **** job painting this area wot ever EVO u get will some day u will have this problem so gettin it redone over here for free should stop it from happenin again in da future.
email me and amp; let me no wot deal u have done with CCC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oli:
Well... :D

EVO6LX:
I understand what you are saying.

My mum has got a Ford Ka which only cost a quarter the price of my E6 and there is no question about it... the fit and finish of that is way ahead of my car but as sad as this might be, at the end of the day I'm a lazy bum who just doesn't care!

I'm probably the most unlucky person on this message board in actual fact. There is always a problem with everything I do, everything I buy or whatever.

OK, here is a very quick example... a full three months ago I ordered a game from the states for my Gameboy Advance called 'Advance Wars' and ever since then have been reading how great it is etc etc and I just couldn't wait to get the game (stuff like this always comes out in the states way ahead of when we get it here in the UK). Well Christmas came and went and still no game, and here we are at the end of January and still no sign of it. However it finally came out in the UK about a week ago so this afternoon I paid a visit to a local game store and bought a copy with the idea of canceling my long outstanding order tonight. What do I fnd as soon as I check my email? Dear Sir, just to confirm your game 'Advance Wars' has been despatched today so now I will have two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just a typical day for me though and I suppose that after 32 years of this crap I just accept it and get on with my life now.

Anyone want to buy a copy of Advance Wars for the GBA?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts