Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I own a 100% standard Evo 6 TME and I want to keep it this way. However, living in the mountains, engine reponse, mid-range torque is important for me, so I would like to know what would be a good little upgrade in that sense, while keeping everything 100% reliable.

I would also like to keep the engine looking as standard as possible, and not having to slice the loom or stuff like that. What I have in mind is:

- k&n filter
- 255 walbro fuel pump
- 3 port boost solenoid
- uprated wastegate actuator
- uprated recirculating bov
- remap

And that's it. I don't want crazy power or anything, just keep the engine nice and reliable while still getting a bit more torque for hillclimb driving. So is it realistic? Will it give the engine more response while keeping reliability?

Another important point is exhaust. Where I live we cannot really get homologated exhausts, so is it really a big bottleneck to keep it standard?

Finally, what about the boost pipes? I've seen the one from the turbo to the IC looks really small. Is it a bottleneck?

Cheers for the advice! :)

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I was looking for the same as yourself a few months back

i have fitted so far to my 6

7rs turbo ti-alloy compressor
m2 turbo elbow
m2 downpipe
hks intake
walbro 255
apexi avcr 1.3bar
hardwired fuel pump
new nkg plugs
remap soon
8mr bov
car will run rings around my 8gsr and is epic to drive in the low/mid rpm range still pulls hard to around 6k

personally id say stay away from a uprated actuator and bov
the intercooler pipework is regarded as a bottleneck over 400 on here id keep it to be honest it is supposed to improve throttle response so id leave that alone also

the biggest improvement was the exhaust elbow and downpipe for my evo

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,953 Posts
If you are not going full Hardpipes on the induction and intercooler pipes you can always do what I did and fit quality Silicone hoses to replace the rubber OEM components. They don't restrict/constrict so improve throttle response. I also have a Metal Recirc off the VIII MR that holds the standard boost a lot better than the plastic OEM. Much smoother power delivery in my own non-scentific feeling the car with my ass way. I cant be bothered with a decat so I have a proper 3" stainless cat-back made by Russ Fellows via GBEnterprises. They can do you a decat or sports cat too. Car makes just over 300 without any 'real' mods now.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your inputs!

To be fair I won't change the turbocharger (too much hassle, I want to keep the car as standard as possible and I believe the std one has enough in stock), but the other mods make sense.

Why no uprated actuator? Is the std one enough? Mine works fine but looks a bit rusty so I think a change would be good.

Good news (for me) regarding the boost pipes then, as honestly I will be happy with 350bhp! :)

Silicone hoses would be great as well, as a cone is clearly not possible in my situation!

·
Premium Member
10,018 Posts
Fit some 264 cams a walbro fuel pump a 3 inch downpipe and system have it mapped to 1.5 bar on the standard Tommi turbo and an evo 8/9 alloy dump valve you will see 370 bhp 360 ftlb torque .

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,953 Posts
Thank you for your inputs!

To be fair I won't change the turbocharger (too much hassle, I want to keep the car as standard as possible and I believe the std one has enough in stock), but the other mods make sense.

Why no uprated actuator? Is the std one enough? Mine works fine but looks a bit rusty so I think a change would be good.

Good news (for me) regarding the boost pipes then, as honestly I will be happy with 350bhp! :)

Silicone hoses would be great as well, as a cone is clearly not possible in my situation!
TME Turbo is already one of the best ones anyway. You can always replace the actuator (can't remember what the MLR 'go to' mod is that people recommend) You can easy fit a K&N or HKS on the MAF. BUT a lot just recommend a decent panel filter like the HKS one or the Ralliart one.

Reactions: Mr Ralliart

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cams would be too much for me (on a legal point of view, and possibly emissions), plus again, I would like to keep the car as standard as possible with non-intrusive/easy reversible mods.

Silicon hoses sound good (plus I can keep the standard airbox and fit a k&n panel filter in it as well), walbro 255 is fine again (won't be seen inside the tank), and that alloy dump valve would work as well (assuming it fits straight to the Evo 6 engine, pardon my ignorance).

Elbow and downpipe are tricky as well for legality reasons (cops), but I might make them look standard I guess. What about boost control? I know apexi from people with jap' cars, but don't know much more about the brand.

·
Premium Member
22,095 Posts
Hi guys,

I own a 100% standard Evo 6 TME and I want to keep it this way. However, living in the mountains, engine reponse, mid-range torque is important for me, so I would like to know what would be a good little upgrade in that sense, while keeping everything 100% reliable.

I would also like to keep the engine looking as standard as possible, and not having to slice the loom or stuff like that. What I have in mind is:

- k&n filter
- 255 walbro fuel pump
- 3 port boost solenoid
- uprated wastegate actuator
- uprated recirculating bov
- remap

And that's it. I don't want crazy power or anything, just keep the engine nice and reliable while still getting a bit more torque for hillclimb driving. So is it realistic? Will it give the engine more response while keeping reliability?

Another important point is exhaust. Where I live we cannot really get homologated exhausts, so is it really a big bottleneck to keep it standard?

Finally, what about the boost pipes? I've seen the one from the turbo to the IC looks really small. Is it a bottleneck?

Cheers for the advice! :)
As mentioned already, dont uprate the actuator, and if yours is faulty, fit a standard actuator off an 8. Also as above standard Metal recirc valve. Can you fit a decat? that will help even if you do keep the standard exhaust, then as you say, remap, maybe with a new set of NGK BPR8ES plugs. If you cant decat, then look into a good sports cat

Stu

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for the tips, definitely food for thoughts!

Car is not as crazy as most of the cars on the forum, but honestly my aim is not the build the fastest car, just pushing a bit more what is already on it! Plus the driver needs training as well! :eek:

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
your tme turbo is similar in the responce of the 7rs turbo
also if you can find a standard exhaust manifold have that ported it will improve the response of the engine i forgot to mention i done mine with a dremel and spare gasket

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
With your list of mods 350 -380 is easily achievable.
Unless the actuator is faulty i would leave it alone.
Iv mapped loads of these at a similar spec and they always perform well at stage 1.
Cams are not needed

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!

Also what ECU or method would you recommend to map the car? As with a lot of aftermarket ECUs, some features are lost over the standard ECU, something I don't want.

What is the best way of being able to map the car (I have access to a dyno), while retaining all features on the car? Do I need an aftermarket ECU or can the standard ECU be mapped? I heard of EvoScan.

Again sorry for the questions, its my first Evo, and now that it is stored for the winter, I have too much time in my hands to think about it :eek:

·
Premium Member
22,095 Posts
Thanks guys!

Also what ECU or method would you recommend to map the car? As with a lot of aftermarket ECUs, some features are lost over the standard ECU, something I don't want.

What is the best way of being able to map the car (I have access to a dyno), while retaining all features on the car? Do I need an aftermarket ECU or can the standard ECU be mapped? I heard of EvoScan.

Again sorry for the questions, its my first Evo, and now that it is stored for the winter, I have too much time in my hands to think about it :eek:
remap the standard ecu

Stu

Edit: where are you, guessing not the uk?

·
Horizon chaser
977 Posts
If the engine is strong and shows good compression the power I got from almost nothing is worth a thought. I have a walbro, evo 8 actuator, fujitsubo cat back exhaust and blitz filter on HKS RS Turbo pipe. Auto torque did the work and mapped the car to a safe 350bhp at my request and 370lbft it would of taken more but I chose to keep standard clutch so 350 it is. I have graphs somewhere...

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Was that on standard IC pipes? What boost?

If the engine is strong and shows good compression the power I got from almost nothing is worth a thought. I have a walbro, evo 8 actuator, fujitsubo cat back exhaust and blitz filter on HKS RS Turbo pipe. Auto torque did the work and mapped the car to a safe 350bhp at my request and 370lbft it would of taken more but I chose to keep standard clutch so 350 it is. I have graphs somewhere...

·
Horizon chaser
977 Posts
Was that on standard IC pipes? What boost?
Yep everything else is standard. Tom was surprised at how much power it could run. The torque is the most impressive aspect. I also changed plugs to BPR8ES. No downpipe, no upgraded cat conservative power. I did pose the question of would it hit 400/400 without cams and they didn't say no. The engine has covered 35k now. I will hunt for graph.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome it is exactly what I would like and shows that even on standard exhaust and IC pipes, you can achieve good results! Thanks a lot for sharing, great and constructive answers in this thread! :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts