Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
Had my evo just stop on me made a wine and clunk nearly cut out.
Now engine starts but if I select gear and draw clucth up to bite the car dips as if engaging but then just cuts out.
I can't roll it / push it either its like brakes are on

Any ideas???
Or any idea to even get it rolling without skates?

No warning lights etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah got it onto skates. I have it back at home now.
I'll have to jack up pull the drive shafts out and push it back to the drive way.
I guess that will narrow it down to gear box or transfer box too.
Thank you very much :)

·
acting daft since 1969
19,577 Posts
does it move at all pushing it ,if not id bet the transfers box dead

have the oils ,gearbox and or diff ,been changed recently

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does it move at all pushing it ,if not id bet the transfers box dead

have the oils ,gearbox and or diff ,been changed recently
It rocks slightly but can't move it pushing no.

Yes the oils etc were all changed about 2weeks ago when new engine put in (I did myself so I know they were all changed)

I've just taken the front drive shafts out and the shaft through the transfer box moves free but if I try rocking/pushing it still wont move.
Sobi can only guess the rear diff now :( ??

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the back end up but struggling to work out how to get the rear driveshafts out? I've got the manual but its not very clear to me :S .... can anyone advise please? I'm working on my driveway and would prefer to do it with out removing the rear diff if I can (not much clearance) just so I can get it to a garage and pop on ramps properly as I cant move it at the moment.

Thank you all :)

·
acting daft since 1969
19,577 Posts
unbolt the prop shaft ,jack the front of the car up ,and see if the front wheels move ,,same them if thats OK with the rear ,if the diffs duff you wont see any movement of the diff flange ,no need to pull shafts out at this stage ,if the rear diffs dead ,you have to pull the shafts out to move it
but even of the rear diffs dead it should still drive through the front,JUST

did much oil come out the transfer when you pulled the front shaft out ,its dead easy to UNDER fill the transfer an it wont take long to seize it solid and then it wont move at all as you described

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The front do move I took the front shafts off and the spindle/shaft that goes through the gearbox and front transfer moves as it should. But if I jack the back up they only move a couple of inches then lock so im guessing it is the rear diff thats screwed somewhere just need to know how to get those rear shafts out without removing the rear diff if possible. Oh and there was quite a bit of oil that came out when the front taken out.

·
S.Wales R.O./Electrician
4,129 Posts
You could try taking the small plate off the rear of the diff (four 10mm bolts) and shine a torch on the internals to see what's causing the hang-up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try the plate. I have lifted the back end up and if I turn one wheel the other spins in the opposite direction freely.
If both on the ground then the prop shaft moves very slightly then the whole diff rocks with it and ideas on how I can the vehicle moving so I can put on drive and remove diff??

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'll try the plate. I have lifted the back end up and if I turn one wheel the other spins in the opposite direction freely.
If both on the ground then the prop shaft moves very slightly then the whole diff rocks with it and ideas on how I can the vehicle moving so I can put on drive and remove diff??

P.s. apologies for double post!!

·
acting daft since 1969
19,577 Posts
id still say its the transfer box ,undo the the prop off the diff ,jack the front up and try and move the prop around ,you cant and the prop doesn't move its the transfer box

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I can't get to all the bolts on the diff the way its positioned at the moment 2 are the top near the body and can't get enough leaverage on them (im working on the floor) .... the transfer box moves the same though I.e. spin one wheel the other moves in opposite direction so its one end or the other at transfer or diff but can't get prop shaft off at the diff end :S
Is it easy enough to move the hub out of the way so I can get the rear shafts out ?
What would I need to undo?
Unless there's an easyish way to unbolt the prop shaft?

Im sorry to all if any of this sounds stupid but I am kindof learning as I go along, I like to do the work my self. And all feedback greatly appreciated.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,577 Posts
its hard to try and diagnoise whats bust with out seeing it and what moves and what doesn't

if the rear wheels move when you jack the back up that ends OK ,getting the shafts out id quite easy ,undo the drive shaft nut ,and undo the bottom arm /TCA youll be able to pull the shaft out

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I know it all need to come out really but both back and front move if the respective end is up in the air just can't get a pair to move in the same direction.

Awesome, I'll get another impact gun and get the bolt out from the lower arm(ifni look at it the bolt closest to the brake disc) And see if I can remove that way. Whats a TCA?
And thabks very much for your help :) I'll post tomorrow eve how I got on

·
acting daft since 1969
19,577 Posts
TCA ,track control arm ,its the bottom arm

the fact the front and the rear both work independantly points to the transfer as that's the only place they join together

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahhhh ok two bolts at the bottom need to come out im learning lol.
Are they not both joined at the transfer and the rear diff via the propshaft? I may be totally wrong but doesn't the transfer only send power to the back wheels via the propshaft and there would still need to be some form of gearing system in the rear diff to make both wheels spin in the same direction?

I working on get those drive shafts out thwn try and turn the prop on its own. If that fails split the prop then test each end and see which is stuck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wwll got the car moved to my driveway last night. Not had time to diagnose the problem properly yet.
But did as you suggested super_rover the bolt on lower arm and TCA was able to remove the shaft from the diff then out of the hub and pushed car back will get it up in thw air on stands soon.

What I'll probably do is remove the rear diff and prop completly possibly take thw gearing out and make just front wheel drive and have new gears put in rear diff.

If it is the transfer box though I'll have that off and strip it to see what ther gears are like in there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you do manage that, send me a PM with where you got them from as I couldn't get hold of a new pinion for my rear diff for love nor money. :smthumbup
Will do gonna take me a little bit of time to get it all out but certainly will send ya a pm once all sorted:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts