Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EBC front discs have been recalled so it's time for new pads... my EBC greens squeek like hell .... I have read hundreds of threads about pad choice, but, at the current time, who has driven over say 1000 miles with a pad and NOT had it squeel - 'cause they're the pads I'm gonna buy ;)

Anyone ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Justin

If you want to get no squeal, go for OEM pads. If you are prepared to put up with a little, then there is a wide choice but be warned of 2 things. First, it appears that the same type of pad can squeal different amounts on different cars. Second, what is acceptable to 1 person might not be acceptable to another.

As an example, take Skeletor and myself. Both of us fitted Pagid RS4-2 pads. I get a little squeal occasionally at low speed but IMO, very acceptable. Skeletor got loads of squeal which he found totally unacceptable. The pagids stop the car so much better than the OEM pads and I am as happy as I could be while Skeletor removed the pads and wasted £177.

For every person who will tell you that a particular pad doesn't squeal, you will find 1 who says they do! Good luck with your choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd agreed with Si, but still think that Skeletor didn't allow the brakes to bed in enough, I also have RS4-2's and it took them a good 2 months for them to stop squealing all the time, I now only get the occasional squeal at low speeds just like Si does and I'm VERY happy with the pads.

If you can make it to a regional meet I'm sure someone would give you a ride so you can hear what the pads are like (plenty of people have RS4-2's or other pads if you want to compare), if you go to one that I'm going to be at give me a prod and I'll take you for a spin so you can see what its like.

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For what it's worth...

Just fitted Mintex 1144 pads on the front. The LOUDEST brakes I've ever heard! Tried the 'normal' bedding in approach - i.e. gentle - and they just got worse. And worse.

Then went out early Sunday morning on quiet country lanes and did the 15-20 emergency stops from 100mph to 0mph. Brakes are now silent. And I mean, silent, even after letting them go stone cold. Problem cured. Thank god.

Your mileage may vary. (NB. Also put Tar-ox grooved disks on at the same time.)

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have had the ds2500 at the front. have not fitted the rear ones yet, as i was worried that they will squeal too much. to my surprise, they have not squealed at all. we are not taking acceptable levels here, i am saying nothing at all yet.

never driven the car in anger yet either, well do that on thursday on track and see how they perform :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have DS2500 front and amp; rear and amp; they squeal at low speed.
I like to stop so squeal no problemo.
Do give off a fair amount of dust though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
typically if u fit higher performance pads then they are all going to make some noise
getting them nice and hot will shut them up, either track, repeated high speed stops or just simply drive along with your foot on the brake till they go quiet

if u do slow speed driving then the noise might come back so try some of the below options
sticking fiber backing pads on (as per the oem pads), or using some anti noise compound (i have found crc and copper slip NOT good here, rate wurth HT and someone mentioned some bendix stuff), some say chamfer the edges (as per oem) but u lose half the surface area

there is no point in getting in a tizz and saying they are crap until u have worked through all the options properly

of course the oem ones are quieter...they are lower performance pads and your car will not stop as quickly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts