Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 99 T has covered 13000, on the original clutch. when i took one of my mates out today in the dry and set off (quickish) from a standing start the clutch was slipping like a good un and i dont ride the pedal at all, that was with my foot OFF the pedal and ON the throttle only ( my 4x4 cossie managed 55K on the original clutch - i know there wasnt as much power or grip!!!)) so is this about normal for an evo? can anyone suggest what i put back in ,ie: standard or up-rated, and any brands that spring to mind you can recomend?? and how much of a job is it to do, (i managed to do the clutch myslef in the cossie) are any special tools needed or is it a main dealer job?

any info appreciated, cheers,

dave henshall

[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
13 k miles is low 4 a clutch 2 expire , but not unknown :(

Good road clutch is the AP .

Replacing it will b harder than yr Coza because the Evo is a similar trans layout 2 a front wheel drive car , apart from a clutch line up tool tho nothing special is required.
Check yer flywheel tho , because if the clutch has failed that quickly , the flywheel is probably up the ........aswell .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch will slip on fast starts if you let it in over about 4500rpm at standstill, this is normal! Its quite an art to get it just right, you either bog down or burn the clutch. I go for a get the car rolling at low rpm and then bury the throttle once moving trick. 25k miles on the original clutch although I think its starting to go.
Try the old high gear and accelerate from low rpm trick to see if the clutch is on the way out.
As Evoboy says AP organic is the prefered option for a replacement if necessary. Better than the OE item but no where near as fiece as a paddle clutch so ideal for everyday use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know what the difference is between the AP organic plate and the standard clutch plate, such as the frictional qualities and thickness. I know the diameter is the same at 230mm. I'm not on about the cover as the AP is obviously uprated for a stronger clamping force.
The reason being that Alcon will modify the standard cover for a stronger clamping force without increasing pedal pressure and If then it is used with a good organic plate the setup should be similar to the AP kit but for about a 3rd of the price. Unfortunately Alcon can only supply Paddle cerametallic plates, thus the question above.

Clive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts