Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having now looked around a number of evo's i am amazed at how crap the standard air intake is, unless i am missing something. The only intake seems to be a slot next to the battery. i thought that the TME had a different arrangment but it seemed to have exactly the same crappy air box and intake. Or is there another feed into the air box from the bumper?

Either way the air drawn in from near the battery will be warmed by the intercooler, radiator and turbo. What a load of ******.

Or is it me talking ******?:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No, you are right. I have a Blitz filter, but if I had to do it again, I would get the Ralliart panel filter in the standard box and feed air in it from the front with a plastic tube.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree

I was looking at my TME the other day.

The round hole on the right hand side of the front bumper/valance has a right angled pipe pointing upwards at the slot by the battery.

I was wondering about opening this up and piping it into the engine bay
to direct cold air directly onto the induction kit.

My only concern was water ingress

what do you all think ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mip,

where does the right angle pipe go at the moment? making large holes in bulk heads seems like a bad idea.

Water ingress may be a problem if you had a direct connection from the front of the bumper into the air box, however with proper design it should be possible to sort this out. As Mark has already proved it is quite effective just to get some flexible ducting ending near the intake.

I need to get my head around the possibilities here and that will require a car. Still I'm getting close on this now......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, my e6 tme arrives weds/thurs next week. OOOO i'll not be able to sleep a wink.

When it does arrive the area around the air box is certainly where i'll look first (well after driving round like a loony for a while). At the very least i'll do the mark ducting trick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bit of a late reply but never mind

The intake hole in the front turns up through 90%

It points directly at the slot in the inner wing

however it closes down from a round pipe into a slot, I guess to increase the preasure.

I think its time for some flexible piping to extend this closer to the induction kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not use the WRC-style air intake ?
It opens up the bonnet intake and uses a carbon-fiber airbox.
Seems the most efficient way of getting a cold air intake.

Wonder why they dont do this for all the cars in the first place...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.