Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow evo's. Having just brought a X plate Evo 6 I want to trash the 17 OZ wheels and fit some nice 5 or 7 spoke 18 . I now know I need 18 * 8 with 35offset but do u think I can actually buy a set. Can anyone recommend a set as im sure this is old hat its just these shops dont want to look them up

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Re:evo 6 18

I have just got my Compomotive MO's fitted on Monday and they are 18x8 6-spoke in silver. Quality is not exactly top notch on the powder coating but the flaws are minor and only visible close up. These are probably the cheapest 18in wheels for the Evo so shouldn't really complain! They are proper rally wheels so are very strong and therefore heavy but not extremely so (11.5kg on my bathroom scales ;)). If you want to reduce the unsprung weight then look elsewhere but you will pay a lot more for lighter wheels (at least twice the price).
You really need new wheel nuts for these, the originals do fit but are tight.
Most Motorsport companies will do them. You want 18inx8in, ET35, Centre Bore|EQU|67.1mm, PCD|EQU|114.3mm x 5. I recommend Pirelli Pzero Asimmetricos (not Rossos) 225/40 18 all round.

Also consider the likes of Speedline and Raceline (got no reply from an enquiry about those though). I really wanted OZ Chronos but I was told they are not available in the correct size for the Evo.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the info Racelink was my first choice but are in the process of moving workshop or something and wont be producing anything for a month , Speedline will do the GT1 Motors but are spilt 6 spoke. Comp MO seems to be the most suitable for me but Im now a little worried about you comments on quality. So far Ive found that I can get the Comp MO's in silver for £199 each compared to £180 for the speedlines so they not the cheapest but are it you compare to the forge ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5

As a user of 8x 18 for Rally cars, I can supply used Compomotive or Race lines second hand paint chipped wheels for £100 each, or better still new @ £150, but the best we use are the lightweight Speedlines but they are £175 each, but save 2kg per wheel, all prices include next day delivery.
Anyone intrested?
RogerRally

G

·
Discussion Starter #6

freind of mine runs 18 white speedlines on his white 5, it looks the absolute dogs do-dahs, he only paid about £450 for the rims i think, might be wrong though

G

·
Discussion Starter #7

Splodge,

I know how the Compomotives look like and also their 11.5kg weight.

Where can I take a look at those Speedlines? Would you be able to ship abroad (adjusting the price)? Does your price include VAT?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8

WOW, I'm confused. I thought a |PLS|30mm offset was a must for 18inch wheels on our evos. I have a friend selling a set of SSR Integral, size 18 x 8, 5 holes, P.C.D. is 114.3, 67mm bore, in a 35mm offset. According to the information above, these wheels will fit my Evo 5, or am I wrong? Do you think I'll need some spacers?

G

·
Discussion Starter #9

I contacted Raceline a couple of weeks ago and was told they were going out of business.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10

By the way, Coordsport lists the Compomotive MO 8x18 for GBP133 |PLS| VAT.

I should not be looking at 18 wheels: I fitted 2 new 225/45x17 PZero Assimmetrico today! They won't last long anyway ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #11

have you thought about MIM Amalfis? They're the same design as Kahn RSRs £549 for set of 4 8.5x18s at Performance alloys (www.performancealloys.com)

I don't think they would have any caliper clearance problems with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12

Ivor at Raceline have just sent off their moulds for 5 spoke 18 back to Italy, so nothing availiable till end of April, but Speedlines ( which look like evo 4-5 oem multi spoke designs)
are still availiable. All prices inc vat and dell.
tyres much cheaper in wrc spec 18 sizes, than group n sized 17
RogerRally
PS Whens your next outing?

G

·
Discussion Starter #13

So going by what is written above and from whats said on Takakaira`s site if your going for 18 wheels then you need 8x18 with a 35 offset, OR 8.5x18 with a 30 offset.

Or am i completely wrong and should forget about the 8.5x18??

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14

RichW, I've been told that the only way to see if the 18 x 8 in 35mm offset fits is to try the wheel on and check if it clears. Some wheels have a particular design that inhibits proper fitment, while some might fit just fine as in the case of the BBS Challenge wheels you see advertized on the PE site or Performancealloys. I heard these wheels (BBS) come in a 35mm offset, and the PCD is actually 112, same as on the audi wheels. I heard these wheels are machined, both by someone in the UK and/or Germany, for it to fit the Evo.

Read the post will these fit? under the lancer chat section. HH6 pointed out a great method to find out if a wheel will fit or not. Check it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15

Seen the method :)

Wont let you know if they wil clear the caliper though, or scrape the arches which are my main concerns :(

The wheels i`m fancying are actually in Japan too :(

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16

The only way to be sure is try them on the car, it can get marginal on the front brakes.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter #17

The cardboard template will let you know if they clear the caliper, that was the whole point of it. The template that's made up will be the same as the inside of the wheel you intend to fit, make a negative of it and then try it on your own hub/caliper set up and if it clears then you should be OK. I agree that the method is no good for new wheels from Japan though. The only way to know is to contact the manufacturers and ask them if they will fit or find someone who has them on an Evo.
The only thing the template method won't tell you is the suspension/wheel arch clearances.
8x18's will fit (with 225/40 18's) without any problems and I am sure Blade had 8.5x18's or 9x18's on his. Ask him what he has and if they cleared it or whether mods were required.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18

I remember Blade saying he had 3 different types of wheels. The main one he spoke about was the BBS Challenge wheels he ordered from PE, and those are 18 x 8.5. Enkei makes the NT03 wheels to fit Evo 5 and amp; 6, and those are 18 x 9. They use it on the lemon Evo 5, beautiful wheels, NT03RR are lighter. you can see them on the japanese enkei website: www.enkei.co.jp

G

·
Discussion Starter #19

richi W -

the offset is negative, so ET30 means in effect the wheel will stick out more, so ET30 on 8.5x18 would stick out much more than ET35 on 8x18 ie. 5mm (offset) |PLS| 1.25mm/4 (half of the half inch extra in width).

The reason for the offset may be to clear the calipers on different wheel designs?

I don't know whether your arch is metal or bodykitted (as I don't own an Evo), but generally you can get them rolled for about 90 quid. If they are double-skinned, you can probably cut them up to the double-skin weld if necessary.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20

ahhhn nice one E_Sid. :)

Learn sommat everyday! Looks like i`ll have to look closer to home then, and possibly stick the tried and test 8x18 35ET!

Rich :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts