Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Sorry, it's the epitome of vague; the dreaded 'knocking noise'. Sounds like it's coming from the front but hard to tell when you're sitting in the front right corner of a box! Most noticeable over smaller bumps, ripples, series of multiple repair patches rather than larger impacts/speed bumps and such like although it's present in all situations. I've had the car off the ground and can't find any noticable play in bushes etc but I did notice what I thought was slight play in the RH rear drive shaft UJ. Though I'm a plant mechanic so I guess Evo's are slightly more refined than a 20 ton rock crusher drive?! I've been advised that the front shock absorbers wear internally and this is the cause. Does anybody have any experience here?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a knocking on my evo 5 when turning corners and going over any bump it wound sound like there is no damping at all.

I stripped the top mount and spring off and found that there was play in the shocks themselves

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr H: Thanks for the info. My fault, I should have mentioned that it's a completely OEM set up.

Phil: Thanks. This ties in with what I've heard whispers of previously. I take it your car was/is running standard shocks? Is it a fairly straight forward job? Just remove all the fixings and pull the shock out the bottom. No need to start doing daft things like removing drive shafts to get clearance and room?

Cheers gents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.