Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from my earlier question ref drain plugs - I watched a few videos as I though it might be worth inspecting the inside of the tank - seems like there is a design fault on removing the pump side - this issue is that the ridged feed pipe prevents the pump being with drawn - is there a fix for this or is it a drop from the bottom job and inspect whilst it’s out or has anyone got a method of getting it out from the top ??

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
Following on from my earlier question ref drain plugs - I watched a few videos as I though it might be worth inspecting the inside of the tank - seems like there is a design fault on removing the pump side - this issue is that the ridged feed pipe prevents the pump being with drawn - is there a fix for this or is it a drop from the bottom job and inspect whilst it’s out or has anyone got a method of getting it out from the top ??
Personally I would clean the tank and replace the fuel pump and filter while it’s out , also the filter in the bay. Always best to leave a tank full.
Check under the rear seat and see someone has cut the pipe as this is a common (stupid) thing that’s done. If it has been done you can remove the pump, if it hasn’t then you need to remove tank..

Not too hard, drop prop and exhaust. Remove the filler pipe. Then You need to loosen rear Diff hanger so it drops approx an inch (have a jack under it just in case you loosen too much!) . This should give you enough room to drop the tank forward by removing the 4 x bolts holding it in. You then need to remove fuel pipes on drivers side above tank and also unplug pump.
Do a search on here as there will possibly be a more in depth guide but this is the quick version!!

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Firstly remove the back seat and drivers side inspection hatch and see if the pump has had the pipes cut. Many people do this so the pump can easily be removed from above. I had to drop the tank and whilst it is the correct way can be a pain. Ive had a potential pump issue recently and although I did it correctly I kind of wish I’d taken the easy route as it would have made future pump replacement/ diagnosis much easier

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I would clean the tank and replace the fuel pump and filter while it’s out , also the filter in the bay. Always best to leave a tank full.
Check under the rear seat and see someone has cut the pipe as this is a common (stupid) thing that’s done. If it has been done you can remove the pump, if it hasn’t then you need to remove tank..

Not too hard, drop prop and exhaust. Remove the filler pipe. Then You need to loosen rear Diff hanger so it drops approx an inch (have a jack under it just in case you loosen too much!) . This should give you enough room to drop the tank forward by removing the 4 x bolts holding it in. You then need to remove fuel pipes on drivers side above tank and also unplug pump.
Do a search on here as there will possibly be a more in depth guide but this is the quick version!!
Please confirm that I can get the inch drop required on the diff to remove the tank without the need to undo any of the arms etc literally it’s just pivoting around the drive shafts

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
No need to remove arms , the lip of the tank gets caught on the Diff carrier. If you loosen and lower it slightly it gives you enough room to remove it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No need to remove arms , the lip of the tank gets caught on the Diff carrier. If you loosen and lower it slightly it gives you enough room to remove it
cheers for the advice - it’s out and I’ve checked over inside and out all good to be honest - seems I think that the pipe has been cut but I took the whole lot out anyway - wanted to check it out for corrosion - it is a pain of a job first time - especially having to strip the drivers side drum to get the handbrake cable out the way - and I had to jack the diff on a good angle to bet the tank to drop - thanks for the advice though helped a lot

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
cheers for the advice - it’s out and I’ve checked over inside and out all good to be honest - seems I think that the pipe has been cut but I took the whole lot out anyway - wanted to check it out for corrosion - it is a pain of a job first time - especially having to strip the drivers side drum to get the handbrake cable out the way - and I had to jack the diff on a good angle to bet the tank to drop - thanks for the advice though helped a lot
Ahh yes sorry I forgot to mention the handbrake cable. While it’s out ( if it still is) I would get some tank cleaner in there as it will clean (obviously) but also rustproof the tank too (if you get one that does that) also I would at the very least replace the pump filter but TBH as it’s a faff to remove again i would replace the pump

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh yes sorry I forgot to mention the handbrake cable. While it’s out ( if it still is) I would get some tank cleaner in there as it will clean (obviously) but also rustproof the tank too (if you get one that does that) also I would at the very least replace the pump filter but TBH as it’s a faff to remove again i would replace the pump

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it’s still out - do you have a link to the cleaning
Product never heard of it - I was going swill a litre of brake cleaner around it and let it evaporate off then hoover it - would also like to get a pump and filter but struggling to if or part number

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Product never heard of it - I was going swill a litre of brake cleaner around it and let it evaporate off then hoover it - would also like to get a pump and filter but struggling to if or part number
If the pipes cut it probably has a 255 installed already but if not Pump wise fit a 255 walbro pump they come complete with new filter and have it mapped to suit. Also change the fuel filter in the bay at the back on the right hand side above the gearbox.

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
I used 3 neat bottles in mine

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
This is great information...one has to pull the driverside parking brake cable as well? Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts