Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying an Evo4 RS as a second car and amp; to sprint and amp; hillclimb at w/ends.
Can anyone compare an RS to a GSR which is more fun to drive?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Alf G

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I drive an Evo 4 RS LHD here in the Philippines, I can't really compare an RS against a GSR as I've yet to drive one. I believe all GSR's come in RHD only.

I've heard that some members here in this forum have removed GSR standard equipment such as the AYC and have instead installed mechanical LSD's. Plus an RS has little if any soundproofing, less power features such as windows, side mirrors etc. so the RS is (marginally) lighter. And i've heard of some people say that an RS has even shorter gearing than a GSR, giving faster acceleration, something I believe you will need for your racing activities. http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

I guess if you plan to race even for recreational purposes, an RS would be a better purchase, plus I believe 2nd-hand it is cheaper than a GSR. [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't consider an E4/E5 GSR simply because of the AYC fault. That is half the reason I went for an E6 GSR instead.
AYC (on the GSR) is brilliant right up to the limit (effectively illiminates understeer) but it is unpredictable right on the limit and will break away more suddenly than a car with a normal LSD (as on the RS).
If you want to sprint and hillclimb then the RS is the only way to fly!
The standard RS comes with the same gearbox as the GSR however the RS had a factory option of a short ratio box which would be ideal for hillclimbs and shortish sprints. If you can find one, grab one.
Whack on a front plated LSD, lowered/stiffened suspension, AP 6-pots, a decent intake and exhaust and you have a very well sorted fun competition car. Not as good as a sorted Caterham in the dry but when it rains you should cream the opposition and you won't get wet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't forget that some E4's are recall free LIKE MINE!!! ,and is up for sale as I write Gsr spec.
But do be sure to get varification that the recall has been done ,or the car is clean,and watch out for two halves of car welded together and be casious of ARABS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good advice folks. for the last few years i have used a fwd
RS2000 16v in mod prod running on slicks etc,but find find trailering a bind some of the time. HH 6 yes a well sorted caterham takes some catching but as you say the tables are turned in the wethttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Good luck with sale of the car Paul what are you going for next? I will looking for a RS as I feel it will suit me better for the hills. May be its not so much a piont of spoting the right car as spoting a wrong un as they
say buyer beware!
Alf G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts