Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am but the tender age of 17 but want to own an Evo 4 in the future! I have a few questions about it and cars in general as I am a beginner.

Can you still buy evo 4's new from mitsubishi?

What does the evo name mean in relation to cars, is it specific to lancers, or mitsubishis?

What does RS mean and what does it mean in realtion to cars?

What are all the variations of the evo 4 you can get and what are the main differences? i.e. WRC RS etc.. what do they mean and which ones are road legal etc..?

Thats all for now I think. Thanks for all your help. I have looked at a few sites but none of them seem to be too specific.

Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Evo 4's were produced from the middle of 1996 to the end of 1997, they are no longer available new.

'Evo' is short for Evolution and usually means that a car that has evolved from something else or improved. It is not a Mitsubishi specific term, many manufacturers have used it over the years including Mercedes, BMW and no doubt a few others. It has become associated closely with Mitsubishi Lancers because it has been used for over 10 years running now, if someone says there's an 'Evo' you know what they are talking about ;). There are also other 'Evo's' in the Mitsubishi family, in particular the Paris-Dakar Rally winning Pajeo Evo.

I am not certain what 'RS' means, I think it means 'Rally Sport' but could equally mean something like 'Racing Spec' or 'Rally Spec'. The RS is the light weight, stripped down basic car ready to be kitted out with rally equipment for competition. The GSR is the 'luxury' version more suitable for everday use. Power wise both are the same.

There were only two basic editions of the Evo 4 (and all the Evo's before that) and they are mentioned above (RS and GSR). Special editions didn't come in until the Evo 6.

Right that's my good PR deed done for today ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Steve Hill Motorsport had a brand spanking new Evo IV RS in white with 7 miles on the clock until recently (they were going to use it as a doner car for a rally build they are supporting), they sold it to a guy on the same trading estate as them who I am told is now looking to sell it on.

It cant have many miles on the clock - that'd be as new as you are going to get.

Call Mike at Steve Hill M-Sport to ascertain what the status is with the car now - 01844 201 025

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all your help guys! Im sure ive seen different tyoes of evo IV's though apart from the gsr and rs versions. Is the WRC spec car used for ralliing and therefore illegal to use on roads?

Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
The WRC cars r produced exclusively by the Ralliart works team (not wot was Ralliart Dudley) , they have never been available as a customer version , if u cud buy 1 u wud have 2 part with in excess of £300,000 :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts