Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, am new to this site, have a major issue with my evo 4 and would really appreciate some help as its starting to bug me now.

Not had the evo long and everything was going fine, Then all of a sudden there was white smoke steam coming from exhaust and the coolant level was dropping. I have pressure tested the cooling system and no leaks found. Carried out block test and eventually came up greenish, replaced head gasket, skimmed and pressure tested head, still steaming and coolant level going down but not as bad. have bypassed the throttle housing coolant jacket as thought this may be the problem. Also since head gasket the tick over is now goes up n down slightly. Have checked the intercooler pipes and there is no trace of water in them so don't think its the turbo. Does anyone know what else it could be?? the only thing i can think is the cylinder block could be cracked (i hope not!!). Also steam clears from exhaust after being hammered but reappears after ticking over for a few minuites. There is no loss of power.

Any ideas would be gratefull. Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
footwells are not wet are they. Heater matrix is behind the dash

Hope it's not a crack in the head for you mate
Not cracked head, had it crack and pressure tested when replaced head gasket. No coolant inside car, its losing coolant through into the combustion chamber somewhere i think.

Not got another evo to compare how much they steam in cold weather, It loses about 1/2 litre of coolant in about 20 miles.

Any more help would be much appreciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,088 Posts
Not cracked head, had it crack and pressure tested when replaced head gasket. No coolant inside car, its losing coolant through into the combustion chamber somewhere i think.

Not got another evo to compare how much they steam in cold weather, It loses about 1/2 litre of coolant in about 20 miles.

Any more help would be much appreciated

Thanks
does sound like a head gasket issue, or crack somewhere, have you had a leakdown test done?

Stu

·
Premium Member
22,088 Posts
No not had a cylinder leak test done yet, will be my next move i think!! gonna order 1 off ebay so will do it when it comes and see what happens.

cheers
i've tried 1 of those sealey leakdown testers, first 1 was faulty (or the instructions were wrong) and the second 1 didn't seem to work the way i expected it to

I have never done a leakdown test before so it could be my mistake, but as i dont trust the results i will be repeating it with a different tester

Stu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.