Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which type of Evo 4 brakes are the same as the ones on my Evo 2? The smaller RS setup or the larger disked GSR type?

Back in 2001 when I had my Evo 4 RS I changed the std RS spec small brakes over to the Evo 4 GSR setup using Pagid Grooved Discs and Red Stuff pads, these were a huge improvement over the smaller and knackered RS setup, which I think fitted under 15" wheels.

The conversion required using the GSR sized Discs and GSR calliper mounting bracket that situated the calliper further from the centre of the hub allowing the larger disc to be used.

If my 2 uses the smaller RS setup, has anyone tried the GSR spec 4 callipers on a larger disc? Maybe the Evo 4 disks fit the 2 as is or is it just the calliper that is the same?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
the calipers/pads & RS-disk size will be the same....
however, the e4 has 5-stud wheel pattern, e1-3 are 4-stud ..
so disks themselves are not interchangable

get some Carbotech pads via 'thetyrant' ...apparently very good
- Ian has sorted out a good deal with the suppliers

·
Premium Member
16,922 Posts
The E4 calipers are the same basic spec ( 2 piston sliding caliper) and same pad fitment as the E1-3 but different mounting plate/holes so will not fit E1-3, i am currently not only sourcing the carbotech pads ( thanks Jan :) ) at a good price and which improve the standard early evo brakes dramtically, even with stock size discs..... but also working on a similar system you mention for relocating calipers on a larger disc, the discs im using are Wilwood 310mm version on a custom spec Alloy mounting bell, just got bells back from machine shop today so hope to do some trial fitting and drawings for making caliper brackets at the weekend, i will be posting up once im sorted.

Pic below of finished discs ready to go on for measuring up caliper brackets :)

Cheers
Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Braking News....

Cool, I have been following the Carbotech pads threads and am interested in a set, the front disks are warped as they judder when used hard so I'll need to do them too. Any recommendations?
I'm not a fan of cross drilled disks so would ideally want grooved, I believe you can get these for the early evos. Camskill don't do grooved disks, all their uprated ones are x-drilled too.
My car is getting some work done at Ears next month so I'll be sourcing the pads, disks, braided hoses out soon.

Saw a lovely set of Alcon callipers that should be available soon to fit under 16's when I was talking to Dave last Friday but they are a bit beyond my budget at the moment, unless someone buys my Skyline... no, must not blow the cash... thats what her indoors tells me anyway.

I'll PM you about the pads, I'd like to try them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts