Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm pretty new here. It seems most of you guys own Evo 5, 6 and amp;7s. I own a lightly modded Galant Vr4 and am thinking of buying a very low km Evo 2 gsr. How would it compare to the Vr4 in overall performance. I recently took a Makinen Evo for a blast, and was pretty impressed with its performance. On paper the Evo 2 and Evo 6 GSRs seem to have a similar p/w ratio. I live in Australia where Evos are few and far between .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jimbo,

Most MLR member did not grow up with EVO models, so it might be a difficult one to answer how they REALLY differ, but But I have owned a EVO 1 then bought a EVO 3, I've driven my m8's EVO 5 and amp; 6, and from my experience the intial blast to 60mph there weren't a lot in the EVO 1 and amp; 3, but the EVO 5 and amp; 6 with their higher torque, you can ceratainly feel the extra oomph! :) The EVO 1 and amp; 3 are quite nice to throw into corners due to their size, they certainly feel just as agile as the 5 and amp; 6, but not as stable at high speeds (80|PLS|mph), probably due to their wheel base.

You stated 'I recently took a Makinen Evo for a blast, and was pretty impressed with its performance.'

If you was just pretty impressed, and not blown away by the performance, especially coming from a VR4 you might need to make the decision from your own experiences.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to just say I was impressed was a big understatment. I was blown away by its performance. It was everything I hoped it would be. In Australia, only 100 Makinens have been released at a price of $80k AUD which is well out of my league.I figured the next step from a Vr4 would be an evo 1-3 of which are very rare over here, but I have found a 2 with low km at a reasonable price. I hope to drive it in the next few days. I should know straight away if it is what I want. I was just interested to here from current or prior owners of this model with their thoughts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jimbo,

If the EVO 1 and amp; 3 is anything to go by, you will be constantly smiling, it will annihilate most Impreza's apart from 22b and (UK model P1), but Model Year for Model Year the EVO rules.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suggest strongly that you buy the Evo 2 .
Most people who have Evos want to upgrade parts , but can`t afford to because they paid alot out front for the initial car. So buying an older car gives you more money to use on later options.
If the car is in good shape engine wise , I would get it.
And especially if the price is right .
And the part said earlier about the Evo2 being unstable at higher speeds is false . The Evo1 maybe but the Evo2 definitely not.

But if your purpose is to race it , I suggest getting a built car. Usually from someone upgrading , is the best

But remember owning an Evo is a disease. And the symptoms are spending money , fast driving , spending money and driving faster.
And the cure is.......getting married to someone who hates cars.
Or buying a Diesel.

Robert VanLane
TakeTomboRacing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Certainly no problems with my Evo 1 high speed stability, at much high speeds than 80mph.

The only real problem you have when chasing an Evo 4/5/6 (from experience) is you start to loose out in very high speed corners, due to the difference in tyre width more than anything else. I run the original size 195/55x15 wheels and have never noticed it be anything but stable.
You can see the extra toruqe from the 5/6 when accelerating in convoy as the 5/6 will start to pull slightly ahead.

The Evo 2 is a very good car, and should be more agile than the VR4.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My evo 2 was very stable at high speeds. Usually running 17 wheels and slightly wider rubber than the standard wheels, with an increased offset, and lowered, but not flashy suspension. Now I use the missus's Fiat Coupe 20v turbo and I am truly stunned at just how fast the evo was down bendy country lanes, well over a ton sometimes, with seemingly no worries at all (these lanes were on my private estate you understand). On the same roads I'm scared to do 70 round the same bends in the Fiat (and rightly so me thinks!). Nice fast cruiser it may be but point to point car no.
How I miss my car! :(

However the evo was not into the same high speed corners in the wet, again due to the suspension setup I think.
Ride was hard as nails but I liked it and found it quite comfy! Gained grip in the dry, lost out in the wet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another car vs Evo is a good indication of how well the standard suspension works on the older Evos. My works car has bloody great 224/45x17 wheels. Its a fwd Laguna II and I can wind it up eventually to a reasonable lick. Coming home the same route as I used to take the Evo there are a few fast-ish bends. Built the speed up in the laguna and evetually thought it won't go through there any faster unless I start to relaly play around with masive understeer, lift off oversteer, etc . Comfotably faster than any other car I meet on the road. But then I realised the Evo, with its 195/55x15 tyres will take the bend an easy 30mph|PLS| faster ! Before I even think about getting into a bit of oversteer/understeer. and this is with staying on my side of the road.
And the Laguna will take this corner at about 70mph !

Up in Scotland there was no other car that stayed with me and the Evo 1, including a motley selection of hot hatches and a few scoobies. The only thing that stayed in my mirror for a while was a few bikes. But the bends were too fast. They had to back off and hold an even throttle whilst I could just power through, gaining enough speed on the short-ish straights to prevent the back catching up. Very funny when I chased, caught up and then sat behind a guy really giving it some welly. I couldn't overtake though, bike to fast. Had to just catch it on the corners and then drop back again :) It kept me amused.

Well, thats my mind wandering, whats the orignal question, oh yes. Buy the EVO 2 !!!!!

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine had same torque as evo 4/5/6 but slightly less power, but then again, less weight too :).
Only had one go in a 5 but mine felt more urgent up to 60/70 due to above standard torque and slightly shorter gearing I guess.
I would definately lose out at higher speeds and certainly if it was wet but it was still rapid! :)

Also massive difference over a standard evo 1 I went in, but that one didn't sound too good, so may not have been up to usual standards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well , I took the evo 2 for a prelimerly test drive today. The car was imported from Japan with some damage and has been rebuilt. They are still putting the final touches on it. I was very impressed with its performance.Not quite as good as the Makinen I drove recently , but still quick. It is considerably more lively than my trusty Vr4. The moter feels very strong and quiet and the close ratio gearbox feels good. I suppose if there anything I didn't like so much is ,the interior is not as plush and comfortable and sound proofed as my Vr4. The ride felt firm but not uncomfortable . They still have a few things to finish on it , and I will probably buy it in the next couple of weeks. I realize now how good the Galant Vr4 must have been when they came out. Mine has 250,000 km on the clock , although the engine and gearbox have only done about 80km and it still drives real nice.They were of a very high build quality. I'm getting excited to think I could soon own an Evo ,even if it is a 2 and not a later model.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:) Sorry Folks :)

My statement on early EVO's of high speed stability was not meant to sound negative, but merely a comparison against the later model EVO's, the reason I even made that statement is because if as Jimbo informs he took a makinen edition for a spin, I was trying to give him a realistic comparison, and was certainly not trying to put him off, for the money there is nothing to compare the EVO 1-3, I'm a proud owner of an EVO 3, and it sits on 205/40/17 eagle f1 tyres, and it certainly has superb feeling and postive response at any sane or insane speeds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What sort top speed does the evo 2 have. I think their final drive is about 5.4 to 1 . Do they pull over 7000rpm in 5th?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts