Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Our Evo 1 engine has just failed. Its not really going to be economical to rebuild the engine so we have the choice of selling the car as a rolling shell or replacing the engine with another. I'm not keen on the idea of putting in an engine from an early Evo incase the same thing happens so I want to know if its possible to swap in an engine from a V, VI, VII or VIII? Also wondering roughly how much a mint condition rolling shell would be worth?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, should probably change the question from "is it possible?" to "how much work is involved and what other ancilaries would be needed?"

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
lot of work doing that m8,everything is in the opposite way around.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
A no-go I'm afraid. As Evo1man says, the engine in the later cars is mounted 180º to the 1-3 and all the ancillaries are different.

What happened to yours? Very little chance of the same happening, they tend to be very reliable, even on 100,000+ miles.

Almost certainly better to use your own engine (or a tired donor engine if your block is holed etc.) as a base for rebuilding, there is no practical limit on the power or strength of the engine you could build then.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
why is it going to be uneconomical to rebuild your? how much do you think you could get a later engine for they aint cheap at all
and also old engine are just as good as newer ones apart from the odd case of crankwalk
if you have to sell i may be interested in the rolling shell
mike

·
Registered
755 Posts
oh coruse everything is possible hehe...

the electrics and stuff aint the main thing.. its the gearbox i guess as thats also on the other side.. but u might be able to use your evo 1 box but im not sure if it would fit..

with the elctrics i guess u could extend the wires.. would be a lto of work to sort out :(...

unless u have blown half ya engine off then rebuild the one u have and get some forged internals while ya at it :).. when i had my supra i went the other way and got another engine and totalyl regretted it ever since...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts