Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of questions!

even though my car is still on its long journey from japan ive already started thinking about tuning the thing.

Ive heard of a couple of relativley easy first steps to take, What kind of power am i looking at with the obvious zorst, filter + boost controller, decent set of plugs and upping the fuel pressure?

Also whats a safe limit with the boost?

I cant believe these subtle looking machines do 0-60 in 5 secs in standard trim!

What a sleeper.

cheers

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Jim,
Do a search as this has been discussed many times, in my opinion though i would wait till you have the car here and firstly get all belts and fluids ( inc diffs and gearbox ) changed and get it running spot on in stock form before tuning it....however once thats sorted....

Basic stage 1 upgrade path once all is well -

free flow air filter and exhaust with decat,
better plugs and leads,
uprated fuel pump,
tweak boost to 1bar.
This gives approx 280/290hp and good bit more torque and is a very noticeable improvment,

Stage 2 is Gizzmo chip and boost upto 1.2bar which gives approx 300/310hp and approx 290/300 ft/lbs torque, engine of course shoudl be nice and healthy with good compression etc before doing any of the above mods!

There are other bits and pieces that need sorting but thats the basics and hope that helps :)

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ian thanks for the reply mate,

I have modded a few motors before but not owning an evo before its good to get good genuine advise of an acctual owner.

Your right by saying get the thing totally checked first though.
Ive heard alot of good storys about these early evos! they all true? They supposed to have bomb proof engines? I suppose its like any car really, as long at its been surviced properly.

Thanks ian

Going to any events this year?

jim

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
engines are ok as standard not very strong rods though
its the drive train which i think is best part being able to run 700bhp through standard transmission is nice and no need to start swapping diffs like the later cars etc

(gets flame suit on lol)

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Jim,
No probs :) ...as Ashills says the rods are a little weak, and often break if pushed hard at high boost ( safe max on stock internals 1.2bar on E1-2 and 1 bar on E3 due to weaker pistons) many people run much more than this even upto 1.6bar!... but at that level things will break sooner or later, and it wont be long before a rod pops out of the block :(

A well setup early car running 1bar is a quick motor :) and mine was keeping with stock E6's on croft circuit last year in such spec ( even had one ruffled driver come over and ask " what the hell you done to that? :) ), later on in the year with a few more mods and up at 1.2bar was just hanging onto a 350hp E7 due to better power to weight etc :). Then later on in the year balance shaft belt went and took out the cambelt, resulting in all valves bent etc...this is a weak point so make sure its done with cambelt change, over winter ive rebuilt the engine (minus balance shafts! ) with forged pistons and rods etc...now running 1.4bar.. so far ...and is a different beast again....roll on Cadwell park 18th march :) pop along if you can :)

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ian, wonder if you could help me mate - I will eventually be purchasing some forged engine bits for mine (Rods and Pistons) could you PM me, on your recommendations - and any other bits I need to take into consideration?

If you don't mind?

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Bjorn- will get you a Pm sorted with more details but ...basics i went for are ....
Ross 0.5mm oversize forged pistons,
Eagle Rods,
ARP head studs,
New bearings throughout ,
New oil and water pump,
and Cometic metal head gasket :) ...
...currently running sweet @ 1.4bar at the minute ( approx 330/340hp)... and should be safe for over 2 bar and 500hp.. should i win the lottery etc :eek: ....plan is to get it up too a safe and reliable/driveable 400hp :D

Cheers
Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts