Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you Evo 1-3 owners ever removed your front bumper? removed mine today (Evo 1) and saw that where the air comes out of the intercooler the pipe tees off to a resonator box. I assume this box is there for noise supression. I also assume it will have a negative effect on turb lag as there is more air volume to pressurise between the turbo and the engine. I wanted to remove it to see if it would be benificial but didn't ave anything suitable nearby to plug the pipe.

Anyone ever removed theirs? Did it have any good or bad effects?

Wreckleford

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Haven't yet had cause to remove front bumper, but would be interested in the outcome should you choose to proceed.

Are you going for a later front bumper by any chance? If so, where from, and is it any good? I want to upgrade so I can fit some spotties - fed up of driving by feel. Not healthy in such a fast car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, by chance ,while lurking on the Scooby board I think I figured out what it is. I think it's a flame box, which is supposed to catch flames in the remote chance that they develop in the intake due to backfires. Anyway, I spoke to my Evo friend (who didn't know what it is for)and he said most people out here remove them and plug the hole, as the box tends to crack and leak boost.

By the way, I took my bumper off to remove the OEM foglights it came with because one of them broke.I'm not changing out my bumper. My car is an Evo 1 and I wan't eveyone to know it's an Evo 1. I don't want to try to fool people. There is a guy out here (Jamaica)that made moulds of the Evo 3 bodykit whch he moulds out of fibre glass. Lots of GSRs and Evo 1s have them. Kind of funny, most people think the GSRs with the Evo kits are Evos and think my car is a GSR,because of hte big red GSR lettering on the back doors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wreckleford - It seems unlikely you'll make the next Trackday, judging by your Location !

I'll be checking out what my front bumper hides in the near future - please let us know if removing the flame catcher makes any difference, in your opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took the box out and pluged the hole with a PVC plug from the hardware store that was the perfect size. Removing the box has made space for my air horns (stock horn is much too weak for a car this fast) and the solenoid valve for my boost controller (not yet installed).

And yes the car does seem to build boost quicker than before. I will check at what rpm I get full boost at in 2nd gear and see how much lower it is than before (it was about 4500 rpm before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts