Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

****PART 1****

I have just bought a complete Magnex straight through exhaust system for my Evo VI GSR, decat turbo back and here are my initial reactions:

1)GODDAMN! This is LOUD!! Argh! I was convinced I would get a headache.
2)Holy cow, this is fast!

Reactions after an hour:

1) Sounds awesome, like a motorbike at times. It has this god almighty wail when you hit full throttle and pass 5k revs. I was well impressed.

2)I can't believe the increase in power. Low down pick up has improved drastically. The pick up from standing starts has improved ten-fold. I can now do traffic-light runs! High speed pickup is also an amazing change. Before, when i was in 5th, doing about 90-100mph, the acceleration would just die a death. Now it just keeps pulling. Acceleration is like dynamite. There is this massive explosion in power when boost cuts in.

3)Head-ache levels are a bit of an un-researched area.

****PART 2****

After extensive testing on country roads of the exhaust, I would like to point out a few points.

Sound:
Absolutely fantastic. Really authentic rally car sound and completely meaty, just as I like it. May be a bit too loud for some, but its how I like it. I had a listen to a HKS Super Dragger system on a 6 yesterday, sounded very muted, very suprising considering the size of its aperture (4.5 ). I am happy I went this way.

Power:
As described before. Fantastic pick up (I presume the evo has a relatively small turbo?) and much better top end response. Just wants to keep going.

One reservation I have which I am disappointed in. Flameout's! Why do I not even get pops or bangs? I would like a few pyrotechnic marvels to show its head when I want. Why is it so tame in this respect? I have seen evo's with 2 second 2 foot flameout's and it looks awesome, especially on a trackday. Would induction kits, dumpvalves help this? Or is it simply a car which has a natural tendency to run lean?

Whichever, I would appreciate your opinions, I feel that this is my final aspect in my quest for fulfilment. I await your answers with great interest.

Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Blowdog

I have had the above kit since it was first released. Trust me it sounds meaty now http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >
But it was even meatier when it was first released so much so I had to get it sent back
to have an inner sleeve put in the back box with some cladding to quieten it down a bit.

I regularly get flameouts but only on hard acceleration and changing up or down gears.
Basically excess fuel gets burnt up resulting in the said fireworks out of the back. My back bumper is now starting to singe [img]http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >
Only difference is I have a Blitz induction kit and Bailey dump value. No flameouts before I had these fitted but I have heard other people have had some so not sure on this one.

I assume you have the magnex downpipe as that makes a big difference to the torque curve.
Much more broad band all the way to the top end.

Anyway happy motoring and good luck in trying to find those elusive falmeouts

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thorak,

Can I ask you, where did you source the dumpvalve and the induction kit from? are they straight swap products? and how much did you pay for them?
Is the dump valve loud? IE is it dump to atmos?
What is the meaning of life? Who am I? What is? Who

*BANG!*
Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just my guess but I think this is more prominent with an external dump valve. When they dump there is a momentary enrichment which would induce flameouts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just my guess but I think this is more prominent with an external dump valve. When they dump there is a momentary enrichment which would induce flameouts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Cem

All my parts were sourced from Dragon Autosport. They are based in Colchester, Essex.
They will do mail order or if you are close (like me) will fit the items for you. Their labour rates are pretty cheap at £25 an hour.

It was long time ago but rough cost of parts were.

Blitz Sus Induction kit was about £165
Baileys piston dump value with fitting kit was about £95

There are more expensive parts out there but why pay more. Sorry but you have to add the dreaded Vat on to all the above prices.

The induction kit is a Stainless steel metal cone so all you have to do to clean it is give it a blowout now and again. Other induction kits have foam filters which are impregnated with oil. That sometimes gets sucked into the turbo so be careful with those types.

The Dump value is the standard no frills piston type dump valve. But it is one of the cheapest on the market. Yes the dump value is to Atmos and yes it is quite loud.

Basically do not fit either if you do not like loud whooshing noises.
They are fairly easy to fit but it maybe better to get them fitted professionally
if you are not that mechanical.

Dragon Autosport's Phone number is 01206 865444
Ask for Alan Zini or Bob Parker

Thorak

P.S Many thanks to Alan and amp; Bob at Dragon for sorting out my car.
It managed to make 337 BHP at the last LTR rolling road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are looking for a deal on a dump valve try TAS.

http://www.tas.uk.com

Check in their online catalogue, Advanced Engine and amp; Gearbox Components, Dump Valve and amp; Turbo Parts. I used the 4009 (£30.04 (Ex. VAT)) valve with 32 lb(£7.00 (Ex. VAT)) spring as I will shortly be raising boost. All their prices are quite good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey
Thanks all for the replies. I shant be going to oulton, but I will be at Donnington.

cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hunty I had the Magnex system fitted last weekend including front pipe
and will be going to Oulton next Friday.
You could have had a listen on route but don't think I will be up that early, when you're setting off !
Thanks for the offer of a ride around, would be gratefull to any volunteers. I won't be driving on the track (this time) but have done Oulton on my Fireblade bike, if anyone isn't sure of where to go.
Cheers.
Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Magnex sounds good.
If I fit the magnex straight thru and a filter (induction?) like HKS will I need a new management system - I was planning on waiting a bit. Will there be a power gain?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Marc

No you do not need to fit a new ECU. You will notice a load more noise and that turbo lag will be less. You will get more power, but don't expect miricles.

The thing you will notice the most is the noise and the speed of the rev needle.
Less back pressure the quicker you will get through the gears.

Thorak

P.s Evilution : there is a track day at Donnington. But it is not run by the LTR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,

Off topic, but who's organising the track day at Donington, and where can I get some more info? I haven't done one yet - LTR at Oulton Park (10 mins down the road!) is the day after I go on holiday, doh!

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thorak
if you are close to dragon where abouts are you?
i'm in manningtree which is about 7 miles from bobs place and i would hazzard a guess at your car being black with a blitz dual sbc fitted in a rather tasty panel just above the head unit.

S600BYY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Marc

Yes that's my car. It seems to be Dragons developement car at the mo. I think I will be the first to have the new 2 piece uprated brake dics fitted http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >
I should be going to the track day at Donnington, hopefully to test them out as I warped my last set on my last trackday at Cadwell [img]http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Sad.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

So you like the Blitz dual SBC, It took a bit of fiddling about but the Boys at Dragon seemed to have sorted the car now. What did you have fitted when my car was in?

Thorak

P.S I am in Braintree.
P.P.S Eivilution the Track day is being organised by tracksense
www.tracksense.co.uk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thorak
i wasn't having anything fitted i was on a social call to see yan and bob(it had been a long time)
i also came down to see/hear your exaust because after this traumatic house move my wife forced me into i'm going to come out of it with enough money to start procedings on my baby(evo 6)

is braintree evo capital of essex there semms to be loads(i drive through there most days on the way to felstead and also know steve finch has one

S600BYY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fitted the whole kit last Saturday before Oulton Park,

Loud with a boom, buy over 80mph is fine on the motorway,
power seems to be up and it apears to me to be higher up in the rev range.

It was very easy to fit even from the turbo pipe, standard rubber mounts were used.

I would recomend it.

Stephen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts