Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.i have a 1997 mitsubishi evo 4. i had a problem with the car when i first bought it.every time i tried to floor the accelerator the car would shudder violently and lose power.i replaced the spark plugs and this seemed to cure the problem.
now i have another problem.wether hot or cold,and at all times now,the rev counter either goes through the roof and the car doesnt pick up speed or the revs go up about 1000 revs and then drop again before the car will respond.this happens in every gear and at various speeds.the only thing thats been modified in the engine is the addition of a dump valve.
i used to have an mr2 that did this also but less frequently and am wondering if its something to do with the jap engines being derestricted.
please please help!!!!
oh and i know nothing about cars.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Could it be your clutch slipping, try putting it into 4th gear at low revs, say 1-1500 rpm and planting your foot down, if your revs fly off then you know you need a new clutch!! But if it picks up slowly and gradually as you would expect then its not

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah,thought it could be that because as you mentioned,the revs do shoot up when you plant the foot.
any idea how much a new clutch costs?
ive only had the car 3 weeks so i could still take it back and have it fixed.id have to drive from aberdeen to bradford though!!!
do you think they would let me get it fixed up in aberdeen??
cheers

·
Registered
555 Posts
To be honest with you mate I have only had my evo for 3 weeks also!! So dont know how much parts are, all i do know is that they are bloody expensive!! I have just been quoted £750 for a service and cambelt change from my local mitsi garage. To be honest if you bought it from a dealer I would ring them up and demand the clutch be changed free of charge as its not on, unless you have been working the car hard and done the clutch in yourself then its a different matter, but give them a call and explain, they will try and worm out of it but if you keep bugging them and insist it needs replacing you may get lucky!!

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Definitely clutch slip.
If you've driven on it for a while with it slipping then you'll probably need a new flywheel as well.

Total cost around £700 including labour.

Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts