Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, can anyone help with this problem?
i have an evo IV the other day i turned out of my work carpark which is on a bad corner so i had to accelerate hard to get out so to about 5000revs then into second gear and started to slow down for a roundabout, while i was waiting to turn it back fired three times and chuffed a big cloud of smoke out, it drived fine for a 100 yards but then the engine management light came on and it started runnin like a donkey under the bonnet. I managed to crawl to a guy at a garage i know( could not manage second gear!) turned it off got him round to it and started it up and it ran fine with no light on, he put it on his emission tester and said everthing was spot on!
since then it has done it twice more, both times just turn it of leave it a minute and its fine and if u thrash it through the gears its fine, only seems to be if you accelerate hard in first then back of in second. Has anyone heard this b4?
The only mod are exhaust with decat and air filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gauge

thanks, it may just be a coincidence but this has only started to happen since i had a boost gauge fitted, i checked the lines to it and one that goes to the intake is sucked thin!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gauge

i dont know, i disconected the pipe of the inlet and went for a drive and i did not do it again so i assume it was on the wrong place, were should the pipe go to?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
need help

hi, had the car into mitsi in blackpool, they said one of the coils was knackered so paid for new one and fitted, on way home same thing so back again and they put the other one on, same thing happened on the way home so now they say it could be the ecu!
Sure they dont have a f***in clue! can anyone tell me if only the 4 ecu will fit or can you use one of a 5 or 6, and has anyone used browns mitsi in Grimsargh, Preston?
Really appreciate any help as its gettin dangerous, cuttin out in the middle of traffic lights and gettin scared to drive it now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
hello mate.sorry haven't got an answer bout the ecu,but a very similar thing has happened to me.had my evo 4 snce january and this has happened 3 times now and while driving normally my engine turned into a donkey!it was like the turbo had fallen out and i was drivin a 1.0 litre,engine management light comes on so i switch engine off,start it back up again n its fine.has also stalled on me aswell.havent got any gauges tho.goin to mitsi nxt week c wot they come up with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
need help

let me know how you get on mate, maybe your mitsi dealer will have more of a clue which end of the car is the front! does yours back fire when it starts to struggle?
mine is doing it all the time now, does not matter if it is hard or soft driving.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
other possible causes:
* crank position sensor
* if above item is badly worn - may be the dreaded crank-walk
....unfortunately the e4 is prone to this

get the garage/who-ever is trying to diagnose the problem to check 'play' at bottom crank pulley

or if you're not having luck with garage....take it to Arnside Motorsport based in Carnforth Lancs, who are an MLR trader-member ...talk to Wayne
01524 761398

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kingston

cheers duncan, the service guys answer to everything is " well if this does not solve it then it could be this then maybe this or this" i could have told him that!
Think they just wanna make me buy parts till they think they solved it.
Anyway found out the ecu's are not coded so it does not have to be done there so one of the techys at work is gonna fit it for me

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yes mate,they really are a watse of time.once needed a mirror glass.ordered one from them,it came and didnt fit,all for the nice sum of £40!!! just for the glass!!!
phoned co-ord up and was told it was something like £12+ £5 post!! robbin ****s!

The mrs went in one day and played hell,they wouldnt even sell her an oil filter without a chassi number.

good luck with the car,im sure it wont be much whatever it is.

Dunc

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
crank walk

hi all, put new ecu on and made no difference! checked the crank pulley and you can move the crank pulley away from the block about 3 or 4mm. And it has started to rub the covers. Does this sound like crank walk?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Re: crank walk

evogoof said:
hi all, put new ecu on and made no difference! checked the crank pulley and you can move the crank pulley away from the block about 3 or 4mm. And it has started to rub the covers. Does this sound like crank walk?
that's why I suggested you take it along to Arnside (or [email protected] / anyone that knows what they're doing)
to get a proper diagnosis
& yes...does sound like crank issues

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
crank walk

Well arnside is on holiday and i have spoken to gaz at cpp who agrees, bit difficult to take it there when it wont drive that far thats why i was askin for peoples opinion. But thanks for your help

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
new engine

hi, just wanted to say a big thanks to anyone who helped with this thread, got got home after cpp have fitted new engine, lovin the drive home!!!!!
CPP are the boys!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.