Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Everytime I stop E5 or leave it ldling there I can hear a ticking sound coming from inside the engine. With a little tap to the accererlator in neutral the sounds becomes louder and faster then fades out above 3,000 rpm. I have just had my car back from a service and the engine oil they used was MSL. What is this crap? Would wrong or bad engine oil cause this problem ? I have also been told it could be the tappets. Can anyone help me out here... it would be really appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have the same noise on my GRS RS, i use Castrol RS and its still there. Done 12000 miles this year and nothing has gone wrong yet(Touch wood. This includes taking up to close to 9000 rpm on a number of times, even though thou it redlines at 7500.
I think its just a trait of the engine.
The thing is does anyone really know, garages will tell you theres something even though they dont know. They still get the money of you whatever. I seem to notice new noises whenever i get in, espcailly after its been serviced. Just paranoid. As long as all the lights go out it should be OK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a very common problem thats seems to effect most Evo's. It is the tappets and I know of some owners who have even had them changed to try and cure the problem, not always successfully. All the mechanics I've talked to about it say it doesn't do any harm, but who knows in the long term.

I used to suffer quite badly from this and tried a number of different oils to try and cure it. Shell Helix did the trick for me and it's been fine for the last year until recently when it's started to happen again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Its just really concerning when you hear your engine ticking away like that. Makes you scared to put any boost through it. What do you guys suggest I should do in this case.... change the oil again and get rid of this MSL crap or take it back and get them to look at it as its still under new car warranty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ask the garage what thickness the oil is before replacing it as it may be thick enough so changing may be no good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It this ticking a serious problem? The last thing I need now is to be paying out to fix this and the car go pop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most (if not all) recent Mits engines suffer from the dreaded 'tickies'. You can read all about it by searching the archives here or at http://www.dsm.org/

Rest assured though that unless the engine is being thrashed constantly and/or is not given sufficient oil changes there will be little long term damage. Some DSM and early Evo engines have done well in excess of 100,000 miles on the original tappets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks gusy once again! According to the DSM site its a sticking lash adjuster. What is this and can someone actually explain what tappets are ? Sorry im a dumb ass but im getting better

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suggest you read the thread 'tappety noise'.....Ok I will repeat myself then....

Tappet noise is normal at start up but if it does not go fairly quickly then you may have a common problem with the lash adjusters in the hydraulic tappet.
I looked into the tappet noise problem after I thought that I had a valve go or tappet collapse on my engine only to find it to be more serious and completely different problem.
The problem with the tappets is the lash adjuster gets air trapped in the high pressure chamber and compresses thus reducing the lash adjuster movement. It then cannot take up the 'free play' in the roller rocker when the valve is openning and you get the tappet noise (who ever said they weren't roller rockers then read the workshop manual).

Air gets into the high-pressure chamber in several ways:
If the engine oil level is low, air is taken in through the oil screen, entering the oil passage.
If the oil level is too high, the crank agitates the oil causing the oil to trap large amounts of air.
Air does not easily seperate from deteriorated oil that can contain an increase air amount.

There are other less common situations when air might enter the high-pressure chamber:
If the vehicle is parked on a slope for a long time the amount of oil in the lash adjuster will decrease causing air to enter the high-pressure chamber when the engine is started.
After the vehicle is parked for a long time, oil drains out of the oil passge and it takes along time for the oil to reach the lash adjuster. This can cause air to get in the high-pressure chamber.

In all cases to clear the air from the lash adjusters do the following:
Start the engine and carry out several cycles of mild racing (10 or less). By mild racing I mean gradually increase the engine speed from idle to 3,000rpm over a 30 second period and then reduce it down to idle again over another 30 second period. As you can see mild racing will not harm a cold engine. If the noise is gone after racing it indicates that the air has been released from the high-pressure chamber restoring the lash adjuster to normal operating conditions.

If you keep getting the problem then check your oil level or change it if its dirty. Obviously using thinner oil will mean that it will drain quicker from the lash adjusters hence Mitsubishi recommend 10-30W oil and no thinner.

If you still get the problem (tappet noise continues all the time) then you can try cleaning the lash adjusters or it is possible that one may have failed in which case you will need a replacement.

Information on the Lash adjuster check (shown above) is in the E4/5 WSM pages 11-5 to 11-6
Information on cleaning the Lash adjusters is in the E6 WSM pages 11-40 to 11-42

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhhhhhh we can always count on HH6 for the best wisdom and knowledge *beam of light*.

Thanks HH6 and all of you for the help. you guys kick ass!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that explaination good enough or do you want it explained in simpler terms? I don't mean any offence by that by the way! We all started with a limited mechanical knowledge at some point in fact I didn't know what a lash adjuster was until I read the manuals. I may sound knowledgeable in my postings but its easy to spout stuff from a manual and sound like Einstein!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Simplier terms would be great if you have time.......
The noise on my car is there all the time besides startup...i drive it away and then stop somewhere and get out of the car....... it ticks away quite loud then fades out completely then comes back 15 seconds later.
What do you think HH6?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are u using the correct grade of oil , 10w30.

Higher viscosity oil can cause malfunction of valve lifters (lash adjusters)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts