Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im from asutralia

im buying a standard 200hp gsr model
i recieved an email stating that all standard gsr's up to 1996 can only get EVO I-II-III engines as evo I-II-III are left-hand mounted same as the standard gsr, but the EVO IV-V-VI are right hand mounted

now is it still possible to put an EVO IV-V-VI engine in or would i have to choose another car to put the engine in?

they reason im engine swapping is cause EVO's in australia are so expensive and since the engines alone are only around $5000 AU i might as well do it the cheaper way

anyways thanks for the help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have no idea about your question, but I just wanted to add that an Evo is very different from a standard Lancer GSR, like suspension and basically every other part of the car. Or did I not understand your idea?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine was swapped around to move the gearbox to the passenger side to aid weight distribution, so you would need to consider drive shafts, etc, etc.
You may end up having to swap more than makes the job worthwhile.

Why go to the trouble of swapping the engine when you have two easier choices ?

Modify the 1.8 turbo - they appear to be able to give good power with hybrid turbos etc. With the amount you are thinking of spending you could probably have a tasty 1.8T motor built
Or
Fit an Evo 1-2-3 engine. Power output, etc is very good.

Hardly seesm worth trying to fit a E4-5-6 engine.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything is possible.....but is it feasable?
The engine and transmission mountings will be on the wrong sides for one , but then the body shells are different anyway , so then u wud have probs with ancillary components too, I wudn't want to try this.
Even if u found ways to install a IV and amp;gt; block only without the trans , then wud the GSR tranny take the extra torque?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No point in thinking about using the newer (E4-6) 4G63, there are not sufficient differences to make it worthwhile. Like Tony says, why not try and keep the 1800? After all, you've not even truned a wheel in the thing yet!

I'd think long and hard about an engine swap.
A 230bhp 4G93 and sorted suspension and amp; brakes or a 280bhp 4G63 and standard GSR brakes/suspension? I know which I'd rather have...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info
i should have said earlier that i wasnt goin to swap the engine till it carked it later on in life

i was goin to put a nice bodykit on it and do up all the interior
so once the engine dies then i could put a later evo engine in cause by the time id get one in evo III engines would be too old

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i own a 1993 gsr 1800 4G93 and am wanting to find out what boost pressures and ignition timming are other people out there running theirs at

1 - 7 of 7 Posts