Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now sure that with a few bits tape sealed I can have my engine bay steam cleaned.
Should I get a valleter to do it or do it myself?
What sort of chemicals would I use and what make?

I was advised to spray the whole engine bay with WD40 to form a seal on metals that may corrode when the job is finished.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I last steam cleaned an engine bay I ruined the alarm as it wasnt totally watertight!! D'oh.
But I found by spraying the block in 'gunk', letting it eat in for a couple of mins and then spraying it off brought it up really nicely. Dont know how much u would need to tape off though....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not recommended to steam clean an engine, I believe even manufacturers/dealers do not do this any more (I know they wouldn't do it on my old MR2 when I asked).
I have cleaned off engine bays before and it just causes more trouble than it's worth, however if you are VERY careful you can clean areas away from the engine and the electrics, I have done this on my Evo previously.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same as Duffman ......cover engine in gunk or simular, allow to penatrate, then blast off with soapy jet washer followed by clean water blasting :)

Cover alarm and any other electrics your concerned about, and afterwards give the whole bay a spray with WD40/Maintance Spray/Duck Oil whatever.( i personally use GT85 as it contains PTFE and silicone, plus smells luuuvely :D)

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after have the waxoyl on my underbody (never realsied how messy it gets when trying to work on her afterwards), the guy that did the work cleaned my enginbay (yes GROG you were right!:D)....everything had been WD 40'ed even the exhaused manifold cover...

The car next to me at some traffic lights (after driving for a few miles) was looking across in pure horror, as the blue smoke started to rise from my bonnet vent!http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/laugh1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >....i still remeber the days from doing the same to my CBX750FE...
I must admit though, i was pleased when the lights changed......just in case an'all;)...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep !,will bag off the alarm siren with a tape,also advised to tape the spark plug cover .and fuse box.
All electrical connections are water sealed so not too worried about this .Generally will tape/bag anything that I feel water can fall into , cam cover has drain hole.
Greeeeeaaat ,my engine bay has been sh!tty for ages ,now I can get it sparkling .
Thanks for the tips .

I assume the gunk is ok on the bay paintwork?
A low pressure washer type would be perhaps best ,thought steam clean was high pressure steam ,not jet wash:D Will I need a wet suit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not too sure about using steam t.b.h. Never had the experience, though i know that steam can be very destructive so i`d advise beeen very careful how close you get to the painted surfaces.

Rich :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shorty,

I used gunk to clean up my engine bay and now its clean enough to eat yer dinner off - used a normal hose at low force to wash off. You need to use a brush to work the gunk into the worst bits of ****. I didnt bag anything up and the only thing that didnt work afterwards was the mph speedo convertor where it plugs into the gearbox as the water sits in the connection slot. Easily sorted. If I did it again I would take precautions though - I was a bit reckless as it was my first time :D

Darryl.
(if youre coming to Cadwell we could try bacon sarnies on the exhaust manifold cover)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the extra tips.
daryll yep going to cadwell ,can't wait to get away its only 10.20 am and I'm chomping at the bit to get going:) hope its not going to rain as will clean the car in a minute to give me something to occupy my mind .

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Shorty, did you get round to doing this? If so was it successful. Am wanting to do mine but obviously worried about wrecking anything!

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
:help: Only kidding! I just did it anyway, bagged off both fuseboxes and the alarm, sprayed gunk over most things, had a cuppa then with a semi-strong hose washed it all off. Took it for a spin round the block to dry it off and hey presto, a nice clean engine bay. Could of done with a small long brush to get into a few areas but it is certainly better than before.
I think 'steam' cleaning is certainly a no-no because the hot steam would proably condense in electrical parts, but as this was just cold water it was ok.:)
Just a shame about that crappy manifold heat-shield, will be going soon!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The twin OHC design is not ideal to allow for washing engines off as I found out to my cost with my MR2. Water collects in the spark plug 'well' which leads to shorting out and obviously that is not a good thing. I washed my MR2 off very carefully with the engine nice and toastie even went for a drive afterwards to dry it off and then left it running for a while. Next day it started fine it wasn't until I was coming home after I got 300 yards down the road that it cut out and wouldn't start. I checked the distributer (had to go and buy a screwdriver to do that as I had no tools) and it was bone dry. Pulled the 'sealed' plug leads off and it was full with water.

You may get away with it once or twice (I did) but I certainly won't be doing it again especially given the Evo's design of having the coils on top of the plugs.

Just a warning and no doubt people will just dismiss this but I would rather have a dirty working motor than a clean non-working one.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Thanks for the advice hh6, I'll whip off the cover tommorrow and have a quick look. I did kinda jump in head first with this, but seems to be ok so far.:)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I always clean my engine whitout problems, except that the spark plugs were rusted.
I know it's not recommended but I don't like a dirt engine, and I spray it before with wheel cleaner, wash it but from not to close, and then I spray wd 40 all around especially electrical stuff!

Don't spray too much wd40 on the manifold or you will get some smoke for 15min:D!

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Duffman,
If you want a nice shiny exhaust manifold heat shield then after you've been for a good drive out and got the heat shield nice and warm, come home, remove the bolts and pull the heat shield off.

Then get some nice warm soapy water and a hard wire brush and away you go. You will find that the black coating is easily removed and it leaves you with a nice shiny new looking manifold cover.

BTW, I discovered this by accident when I was cleaning the inside of my engine bay and happened to brush the heat shield by accident :D

Andy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts